Trusted Contributor

I was debating whether or not to see it - only because i love the music and the show. However, I found myself sounding like Tom Hanks when I would see the trailers and then say to myself, "There's no talking in CATS!" The more I saw being advertised, the less likely I was going to enjoy it, but I wanted to see the reviews.

I am so glad that the people who reviewed it at least knew/cared enough about the original to be honest. I was afraid this was going to turn into the Taylor Swift movie the way The Lion King turned into the Beyonce movie. So glad to be wrong!!!!

Respected Contributor

"...but it's not good, delivering a mostly incoherent adaptation of the long-running musical."

I mean, let's face it, the original musical is mostly incoherent and lacks any real story outside of the fuzzy idea that Old Deuteronomy is going to choose one cat for a different life. That's it. The rest is just a bunch of cats singing and dancing until a cat gets picked.

I saw it in the 80s when it was a huge deal and afterward, I remember wondering why it was so popular. Very little made an impression outside of the costumes. The music is very forgettable (ironic, given the most famous song is 'Memories'). It's just not a very good story or a very good musical.

I have no idea why they chose to make this movie. Maybe Tom Hooper lost a bet to Andrew Lloyd Webber?

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Seriously though, I have read that it's primarily the execution, CGI enhancements of the humans to look feline and rewriting of the storyline that make it terrible.

However, it could be, at some point, something I might watch just to see if it's really that bad.  There are So Bad, it's Good! movies.

I will 100% hate watch it when it's on cable. Maybe a double feature night with Showgirls.

Respected Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

Well, we know they always offer the best previews to entice us, but those I've seen did the opposite.  Frankly, they seemed a bit creepy.  

Completely creepy, to me. The original costumes and makeup were so beautiful, but this CGI stuff is super creepy and took a wrong turn into the  Uncanny Valley.

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Johnnyeager 

Just watching the commercial for it that has been running gives me the willies.

I've seen the play twice and hated it both times.

Yes, I'm probably the ONLY person on earth that feels this way, but I'm confessing it here Cat LOL  And I adore cats in real life.

When Grisabella sings, I wanted to run screaming from the theater.

The costuming was grand, but that was it for me.  

I didn't hate it but i also saw it twice in New York and sure didn't love it either time.   I thought it was pretty weird actually.  

Valued Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

Yes, I'm probably the ONLY person on earth that feels this way, but I'm confessing it here Cat LOL  And I adore cats in real life.

I personally know of nobody who saw the show and didn't hate it.  (It was nice to see some comments on this thread from people who liked it.)  The funny thing is that each and every person who has told me that they hated it has said the same thing -- that they must be the ONLY person to feel that way.  My husband and I are huge Broadway fans.  He saw Cats before we were married and hated it.  My stepson recently saw it in Chicago.  Ditto.  I never saw it because I knew I wouldn't like it.  Looks like the movie will be a major flop.

Trusted Contributor

Re: CATS Movie Reviews

[ Edited ]

Just read more of the reviews and this was directed by the same guy who did Les Mis and THAT was horrible, too. I would hope that in the future he would not be selected to direct a musical again. Stick with stories like The King's Speech, which was good.

ETA: I have seen this show a few times and what I do like about it is the music and the choreography. I like to watch the other "cats" while they are not singing their one song and see how they stay in a perfect cat-zone, as far as every movement, etc. I do like the music and was always mesmerized by the white cat, who is an incredible dancer. At least they cast a real ballerina and didn't let a name play that. At first, I was so afraid that would be where they put Taylor Swift. Anyway, that is why I like it. I had a chance to see it again from a touring company and passed. 

While I love the idea of bringing more Broadway experiences to people who can't go or pay for the real thing, I hope that it will be a positive experience, not something to mock.

Honored Contributor

@judy0330 wrote:

@Witchy Woman wrote:

I personally know of nobody who saw the show and didn't hate it.  (It was nice to see some comments on this thread from people who liked it.)  The funny thing is that each and every person who has told me that they hated it has said the same thing -- that they must be the ONLY person to feel that way.  My husband and I are huge Broadway fans.  He saw Cats before we were married and hated it.  My stepson recently saw it in Chicago.  Ditto.  I never saw it because I knew I wouldn't like it.  Looks like the movie will be a major flop.

@judy0330 @Witchy Woman (not sure why I can't tag you), that's sorta how I felt years ago when I was in a long line at the movie theatre and the person behind me asked me if we were going to see the James Bond Movie.  "No, I don't like James Bond".  We were going to see The Big Chill.  Now, you would've thought I had said something treasonous.  

I, personally, thought James Bond was boring and slept with too many women, and I hated the way all the women fell for him.  I really don't think in today's environment the character of P Galore would go over very well.  I am by no means a feminist, but I did feel even then that they were treated more as objects in the movies.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman I liked your post as I was never, ever interested in seeing the play, though the original poetry it is based on is wonderful.

The trailers for the movie are downright creepy. You couldn't pay me to see it.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@judy0330 wrote:

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@judy0330 @Witchy Woman (not sure why I can't tag you), that's sorta how I felt years ago when I was in a long line at the movie theatre and the person behind me asked me if we were going to see the James Bond Movie.  "No, I don't like James Bond".  We were going to see The Big Chill.  Now, you would've thought I had said something treasonous.  

I, personally, thought James Bond was boring and slept with too many women, and I hated the way all the women fell for him.  I really don't think in today's environment the character of P Galore would go over very well.  I am by no means a feminist, but I did feel even then that they were treated more as objects in the movies.

Huh.  From some things I see I think we are living in a P Galore world nodays. I mean the way people dress and act and relations are no big deal. . . It's like it's everywhere.