Esteemed Contributor

The new movie CATS is said to be receiving some of the worst reviews in the history of Hollywood.  A few snippets:

• "I have been processing this movie for the last 24 hours trying to understand anything as terrifying and visceral a trainwreck as Cats. You have to see Cats.

• You must witness the hubris of director Tom Hooper. You must witness the hubris of Hollywood. The hubris of these performers. You have to sit in that theater and view this fur-festooned thing so that years from now you might heroically say that you were there. You saw it in its infancy before it became a cult oddity like another bizarre and inept, but thoroughly watchable, feline-centric film:"

• "Nine may not be enough lives for some of the stars to live down their involvement in this poorly conceived and executed adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s hit musical."

• "Cats" isn't quite the unmitigated disaster that some feared -- or perversely hoped -- but it's not good, delivering a mostly incoherent adaptation of the long-running musical. An eclectic roster of stars claw out a few meager moments, but as screen experiences go, this is a memory best forgotten.
Honored Contributor

The Chicago Tribune movie critic gave it "zero" stars, a very rare occurrence.

DH has seen the play twice and loved it.  

Honored Contributor

I saw it live many years ago.  I could not imagine the film version could compete.  Evidently, based on the early reviews, it can't.  Loved the live performance.

Honored Contributor

Re: CATS Movie Reviews

[ Edited ]

@Johnnyeager     I was planning and going with DD who is home for Christmas, but won't.  I saw Cats on stage in SF, still remember it, wonderful, so don't want to tarnish it with the movie.

I did hear Jennifer sing Memories on The Voice this week, beautiful, love the song, and hearing it in SF brought tears to my eyes because it was a discarded and now stray cat's words.

Honored Contributor

I saw the play twice and loved it.  I had wondered about the movie.  Now I know that I don't want to see it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Seriously though, I have read that it's primarily the execution, CGI enhancements of the humans to look feline and rewriting of the storyline that make it terrible.

However, it could be, at some point, something I might watch just to see if it's really that bad.  There are So Bad, it's Good! movies.

Honored Contributor

Now I'm re-thinking seeing if any of my girlfriends wants to go see it.  I knew it wouldn't appeal to DH, and wouldn't subject him to it. 

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Seriously though, I have read that it's primarily the execution, CGI enhancements of the humans to look feline and rewriting of the storyline that make it terrible.

However, it could be, at some point, something I might watch just to see if it's really that bad.  There are So Bad, it's Good! movies.

@Johnnyeager that's sorta like how I feel about the remake of Dirty Dancing.  I recorded it, but couldn't bring myself to actually watch it after reading about all the changes they made to the storyline and seeing the actress who played "Baby".  Sorta made me think of that commercial where the husband and wife are dancing to "their" song from the movie and she decides at the last minute, after originally blowing the idea off, to actually try to run and jump for him to hold her above his head.  Disaster ensues.  I can't have my Dirty Dancing ruined that way.

Respected Contributor

Well, we know they always offer the best previews to entice us, but those I've seen did the opposite.  Frankly, they seemed a bit creepy.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Johnnyeager 

Just watching the commercial for it that has been running gives me the willies.

I've seen the play twice and hated it both times.

Yes, I'm probably the ONLY person on earth that feels this way, but I'm confessing it here Cat LOL  And I adore cats in real life.

When Grisabella sings, I wanted to run screaming from the theater.

The costuming was grand, but that was it for me.