Honored Contributor

CASABLANCA AND THE WAY WE WERE TONIGHT TCM

8 pm ET Casablanca

10 pm ET The Way We Were

Super Contributor

Re: CASABLANCA AND THE WAY WE WERE TONIGHT TCM

[ Edited ]

Major Bore! How many times have we seen these movies??? Ho hum! That along with "It's a Wonderful Life?" Major bore. No interest. Zero interest. Mind numbing. Rather watch CSPAN!

There are so many great old movies that barely ever get shown. 

Honored Contributor

@camelot wrote:

Major Bore! How many times have we seen these movies??? Ho hum! That along with "It's a Wonderful Life?" Major bore. No interest. Zero interest. Rather watch CSPAN!

There are so many great old movies that barely ever get shown. 

@camelot  I have researched this and TCM can only get certain movies. I don't recall the whole Ted Turner story but that was the gist of it. That's why the same ones are shown.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh yeah, The Way We Were.  Movies (or ourselves) can be chameleons.  When I saw this in Miami, I was on a date with the guy who eventually became my steady there.  The painful mismatch pictured in the film reminded me of my failed first marriage.

Now when I see the film, I think of my Miami steady.  Life loves to work one around, doesn't it?

(As far as the film goes, I adore it.  For me, it is irresistible, just as Splendor in the Grass is.

This scene in English class when Wilma Dean (Deanie) Loomis is asked to recite lines from Wordsworth's Ode: Intimations of Immortality slays me emotionally every time.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWbd8uOsbBE

Back to The Way We Were, that theme song -- sung by Streisand -- is there anything more excruciatingly divine?  Makes me sentimental and moody whenever I hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNEcQS4tXgQ

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee 

Thanks for posting....I adore both movies.  Hopelessly romantic, ill-fated loves.

When I hear the music from each movie, my heart breaks all over again for the characters.

Could RR have been any more beautiful in that movie?

Yes, many are shown over and over and I wish it weren't so, but....sometimes they are worth rewatching.

If not, they are easy enough to skip.

Recently, "Period of Adjustment" with Jane Fonda was on and I caught bits and pieces again....silly, funny and dated....but I enjoy it.

Lois Nettleton, Tony Franciosa, Jim Hutton...Goofy and entertaining.

"Would you please get my little blue zipper bag?"

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76 

It's hard to hear "The Way We Were" and not break down sobbing...

Most of us can relate to loves that were not meant to be...yet we loved anyway!

At the end, I want him to reconnect with her, but he really doesn't.  

Honored Contributor

Personally, I never get tired of watching Casablanca.  The Way We Were is also a goodie and not shown that often.  The African Queen was on last night on TCM another movie I can watch dozens of times.  What's on CSPAN???

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Witchy Woman,

In the '70s, my editor was a member of the National Press Club; his privileges became my privileges, if granted.

When Robert Redford spoke there, I did not get a ticket to hear him but was allowed to enter and await his exit from the area where he spoke.  Yes, he was incredibly attractive but I was surprised to see that he had odd bumps all over his face.  They were not an outbreak but, rather, what appeared to be small growths.  Despite that, he was a handsome guy.

I was only a few inches away from him, on the front line.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kaydee50 

Oh, I'm sorry I missed the African Queen..."Mr. Allnut and Rose."

Last night they alternated K. Hepburn and Audrey Hepburn movies.  I flipped it on late and "Two for the Road" was on.  Although there were parts of the movie that made me deeply sad, I enjoyed it. 

Both were in their prime and impossibly beautiful!

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76 

Yes, I've noticed that about his skin, but assume they cover it with makeup....on screen, all you see is that golden glow Cat LOL

I'll give him a pass on not aging well.  In my minds eye, he will forever be young and beautiful!

Gosh, I was at the NPC a few times in my day (worked on Capitol Hill), but never got to see anyone interesting.  It figures!

Lucky you!