Honored Contributor

CARY GRANT- North by Northwest, 12/26, 5:30 EST, TCM 🚉

[ Edited ]

All morning tomorrow, December 26, is a lovely roster of Cary Grant films, topped by one of my all-time favorites (and probably of many of you, too), North by Northwest -- at 5:30 Eastern.  Wikipedia says it is often listed among the greatest films of all time.  

Hitchcock was in full charge, overseeing Eva Marie Saint's transformation into the character of the blonde heroine.  He also went counter to most suspense depictions of the time in the scene in which Cary runs from the crop duster.  Instead of darkness, shadow, gloom, and a slow-moving menace, he opted for daylight, open space and a very fast plane.

I hope @Oznell is around to give us even more insight into these classic characters.  

Looking forward to tomorrow.  In the meantime, Merry Christmas! 🎄

Style on the train

North By Northwest Wallpaper

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: CARY GRANT- North by Northwest, 12/26, 5:30 EST, TCM 🚉

One of the best Hitchcock's.  Never get tired of watching it.

Honored Contributor

Merry Christmas to you too, @GingerPeach!  That will be a great run of "Cary" films, for sure.

It has to be the most stylish.  It was so interesting to hear Eva Marie Saint talk about how Hitchcock micromanaged her wardrobe in that (as he did for all leading ladies, apparently.)  Everything had meaning for him, like the dark silk dress with red flowers in the hotel scenes, the (I think) square cut jewel she wore at her throat...    I hope I'm remembering that right-- it's been awhile.

That Frank Lloyd-esque house near Rapid City.  I can never get enough of that house.  Even though my own taste leans to "cozy-traditional",  I have a predilection also for that swingy "midcentury" look-- it has its own comfort!

I see "Bringing Up Baby" and "... Blandings..."  is up too!   Thanks for the alert and great photo, @GingerPeach

Respected Contributor

Great movie from back when they made them. Good story, interesting characters, no gratuitous sex, violence, or gore and no profanity. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Merry Christmas to you too, @GingerPeach!  That will be a great run of "Cary" films, for sure.

It has to be the most stylish.  It was so interesting to hear Eva Marie Saint talk about how Hitchcock micromanaged her wardrobe in that (as he did for all leading ladies, apparently.)  Everything had meaning for him, like the dark silk dress with red flowers in the hotel scenes, the (I think) square cut jewel she wore at her throat...    I hope I'm remembering that right-- it's been awhile.

Yes, you're right @Oznell. I enlarged the pic and it's square cut. I've always coveted that piece but I couldn't remember what shape it was now. Go figure. I think it's a smoky quartz. Lovely. I remember seeing the clip of EMS and she seems very personable. I remember learning a lot and promptly forgetting it. lol

Honored Contributor

Here's a close-up of the stone in question, @Judaline @Oznell, and that famous red/black dress.  I chose a mirror scene so the back would show.

Image result for eva marie saint north by northwest

Image result for eva marie saint north by northwest

Honored Contributor

Oh, cool, @GingerPeach.  I'm partial to square cut stones.

I wish I could remember what Hitchcock meant to convey by the dress with red flowers--  for some reason, I think I read that he was signifying "betrayal" with that dress.   Of course, Cary Grant does go through a period around then where he thinks Eva Marie Saint has been "treacherous" toward him... 

Honored Contributor

I guess it's an emerald cut stone. Looked square in my smaller picture. Beautiful anyway.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I noticed she also wore a gorgeous square/maybe rectangular red ring with that red/black dress.

What a satisfying movie.  (Although, being nit-picky, there were just a few bits that wouldn't pass muster if the movie were made today.  For example, the way he held the knife after the UN man was stabbed.)

p.s.  This movie is a good argument for crossbody bags and for bringing back the wearing of gloves - depending on how adventurous your life might become!

Image result for eva marie saint north by northwest red ring

Honored Contributor

I remembered QVC/Joan Rivers has this skirt, A343496 (oddly photographed foot placement aside) for those who might want to bring home just a bit of that North by Northwest vibe to your winter events:

Joan Rivers Regular Length Midnight Garden Midi Skirt - A343496