Honored Contributor

CARY GRANT DOUBLE FEATURE THURSDAY 12:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

original.jpg

12:15 p.m. Eastern, Thursday--   "The Awful Truth"  Cary Grant, Irene Dunne, Ralph Bellamy, "Skippy", Cecil Cunningham, Molly Lamont, Esther Dale, Joyce Compton 

One of the best of the fabled genre, the 1930's "screwball comedy",  directed by madcap Leo McCarey.

Grant and Dunne are a sophisticated urban couple, who start to doubt each other, break up, and continue to have misadventures together, with other romantic partners coming and going.  

"The Awful Truth" is famous for being full of hilarious improvisations by the actors.  At first, Cary was reportedly furious at free-wheeling director McCarey for going unscripted, but soon all the cast realized how freeing it was, and Cary's brilliance at physical comedy was unleashed.  

And adorable "Skippy",  who also played "Asta" in the "Thin Man" series, was his usual mischeivous self.  And gave Cary an excuse to see estranged wife Irene for "puppy visitation" and shenanigans.

0bccd61b9f531105fa98112b257aea80.jpg

TCM is scheduling this perfectly, as a noontime matinee, and following up with the sparkling "His Girl Friday" at 2:00 p.m. Eastern.

Screenshot_2021-06-16 'His Girl Friday, Cary Grant, Rosalind Russell, 1940' Photo AllPosters com.jpg    
Laughs and more laughs!  Here's hoping TCM doesn't interrupt the flow with any of their newly-minted lead-footed lectures before or after.  They might need to advise us that Cary shouldn't have disrespected Roz Russell's feminist career arc as star reporter of his newspaper, or something....

Both films seem to be part of a very worthwhile Ralph Bellamy festival going on.  Love hapless Ralph as the failed but sweet-natured suitor in both films.

cary-grant-ralph-bellamy-rosalind-russell-in-his-girl-friday.png

A sterling afternoon of comedy.

Asta_Mr_Smith_Awful_Truth_Irene_Dunne_Cary_Grant1.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: CARY GRANT DOUBLE FEATURE THURSDAY 12:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Great movies! My DVR is ready. Thanks @Oznell 

Honored Contributor

Love Cary Grant in his comedy roles, he excels!  My Girl Friday with Rosalind Russell is one of the best, they fit that movie to a tee and it is a timeless, never tiring movie!

Russel as Miss Sidney in one of my favorite movies, Picnic, should have won an Oscar in my opinion. She did it all and did it very well, terrific actress.

Honored Contributor

Agreed, Roz Russell was so good, @spiderw ;  adept at both drama and comedy.  Her spirited, resourceful playing off of Cary's antics in "His Girl Friday",  a gem!

Trusted Contributor

Love both of these movies! The Awful Truth is one of my very favorites. I have it taped already! Love the actress who plays Irene Dunne's aunt in the movie.....Cecil Cunningham..."Aunt Patsy"....she is superb with her dry wit. Of course it does not get any better than Irene Dunne and Cary Grant together!