Honored Contributor

Re: CALLING ALL ROMANTICS! "THE SEVENTH VEIL" JAMES MASON FRIDAY 6:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Yes, I also had a long gap from the time I first saw it, @Somertime .   This time I caught most of it, but missed a few scenes that would have clarified things more.  The James Mason character was profoundly sad in his constricted personality.  There was the sadomasochistic element that was disturbing.  I also was perplexed by the ending...

I still found it a fascinating psychological study of two personalities....  I mostly had the impression that the Ann Todd character would be all right.  Despite her sensitive artist's sensibility, she had a stubborn, bouyant and paradoxically common sense quality. 

Spoiler
Which made her final choice more baffling.  I liked Peter the bandleader, couldn't stand the portrait painter.  And even as poignant as James Mason was, couldn't see her staying with him and his problems.  But I wonder if the answer lay in the scenes I missed....

Honored Contributor

Re: CALLING ALL ROMANTICS! "THE SEVENTH VEIL" JAMES MASON FRIDAY 6:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I can't see the little spoiler icon on my phone ( I don't see a lot of things from the board on this phone) so SPOILER below:

Oznell and Somertime The James Mason character had changed too and softened. Late in the film, after her portrait had been painted, he told her she was the only bright light in his life and one or two other phrases that indicated he had softened up. I agree that I don't think the ending made much sense but I guess the two each had changed enough (she changed his hatred for women and also with therapy overcame her fear of him) and hence the ending. I think the ending would have been more satisfying and believable had it not been so abrupt and had their individual changes been fleshed out more but then the surprise element would have been lost.

For a "therapy cures" film, Spellbound is much better, is equally shocking, and makes more sense.
Honored Contributor

I have not looked it up to confirm yet but, it sure appeared in a lot of scenes that Ann Todd was actually playing the piano.

Those British folks love falling in love and/or marrying their first & second "cousins."  Smiley Tongue

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Insightful points, @Pearlee ,  thanks-- that helps.

Honored Contributor

Oh, just saw your post, @Mz iMac .  I hate to disabuse you of that, because it did look like she was playing.  But I read that it was all done by a real pianist (whose name I forget) but she sure plays beautifully!   I also thought Ann Todd did a good job of "fingering" and it was artfully filmed to enhance the illusion....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ha, I have a question about that cousin thing, @Mz iMac .  Near the beginning of the film they mention that James Mason was the one who was the second cousin of her father.  .   Yet, later in the film it's that he's her second cousin.   If he was truly the second cousin of her father, wouldn't he be her second cousin once removed, or her "third cousin" or something?   That was an inconsistency.

Ha, I'd feel better about it if he was the "once removed" or "third cousin" !   And besides, by the time you get to third cousin or "removed" turf, aren't so many of us related that way-- it's pretty distant!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell   I noticed that descrepancy too regarding which number cousin were they.

If James was the father's 2nd cousin then he would be a 3rd cousin to Ann.

I think in the U.S. it's legal to marry your 3rd cousin but NOT your 1st & 2nd.

In my family, marrying any numbered cousin no matter how high up the generation tree is considered incest.

Honored Contributor

I play the piano and could tell she wasn't really playing. I do think her playing looked more realistic in some scenes than others.
Honored Contributor

Agreed, @Mz iMac ,  there's a total "cringe factor" thankfully, to marriage among relatives, gack.

It's the one thing that spoiled Louisa May Alcott's children's classics, "Eight Cousins" and "Rose in Bloom" for me,   which I think she wrote after "Little Women".   Boston heiress Rose Campbell has eight boy cousins, and is courted by two of them! 

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee  I use to play the piano.  That is why I was Smiley Surprised watching Ann play.  I was thinking if she was faking, that is the best fake job on a piano I've ever seen.