Honored Contributor

Re: Bruce Willis' family has announced the actor has been diagnosed with aphasia

@Lucky Charm ,  So sorry to hear that-- I remember Connie Kunkle--  she was a fun, bubbly host.

Am very sorry that they've just announced that Bruce Willis's initial diagnosis has progressed to what Connie had.  Prayers for him and his family.

Respected Contributor

Re: Bruce Willis' family has announced the actor has been diagnosed with aphasia

@Lucky Charm @Oznell I also remember Connie.  She was in her late 50s when she passed, Bruce is in his late 60s.  Such a terrible disease, but I don't think the final days are as painful as cancer or certain other diseases.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JaneMarplewrote:

@Danky2 wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

It is so sad for him all five of girls and his wife.  It is wonderful that they are all family, including Demi.   Bruce had a knack back in his hey day to make my heart skip a beat while laughing at his antics.

While reading the story on People I saw that Susan Lucci's husband passed away on Monday.  That was a really long happy marriage.

Susan Lucci's husband died in March of 2022.......time to catch up on your reading.LOL

@Danky2 , this thread originated in 2022 when Bruce Willis was first diagnosed.

I guess I had better keep up.....thanks for setting me straight @JaneMarple .   I never seem to look at the dates just ass-u-me it is now !

Esteemed Contributor

Sadly, I wasn't surprised by the announcement. The initial announcement made months ago was really just a description of a symptom. The cause is now known. My husband has Alzheimer's Disease. Bruce Willis has frontotemporal dementia, which is apparently the most common form of dementia in younger people.

The family is in for some tough times but I assume they will seek out and find the best care available. I used to think that cancer was the worst way to go. I saw my father suffer with the horrifically painful gastric cancer that took his life. It took four months of hell. However, I've changed my mind. Dementia steals one's soul. It slowly eliminates the essence of who you are. For over eight years I have seen my husband disappear, bit by bit. And it's not over yet. May the Willis family find peace.

Respected Contributor

Bruce was working on low budget direct to video movies just before his aphasia diagnosis was announced.  He would only shoot for a day or two and maybe be in 15 minutes of the film but the movie producers used his name to promote the films.  He could make 2 million for each movie he made.  People who worked with him on these movies say he was confused, had no idea why he was on set and had to be fed his lines through an earpiece.  Why did his family and movie producers put him through that - greed?

Honored Contributor

There's a reason why this older thread is newly active.  I believe, as several posters have already noted, that the thread was bumped up because of the newest diagnosis announcement that came just this week--  that Bruce Willis has progressed from the aphasia diagnosis, to frontotemporal dementia.

Thanks for that update on Connie Kunkle, @Linmo ,  and my best wishes for support and peace for you and your family as your mother continues to deal with her illness.