Trusted Contributor

Re: Bruce Willis' family has announced the actor has been diagnosed with aphasia

So very sad,let's hope it will get better?

Honored Contributor

Re: Bruce Willis' family has announced the actor has been diagnosed with aphasia

February 16, 2023 

Bruce Willis' aphasia diagnosis has progressed to frontotemporal dementia, his family says

Bruce Willis' diagnosis of aphasia has progressed to frontotemporal dementia, known as FTD, his family announced.

For more information, go to https://abc7.com/health/bruce-willis-aphasia-diagnosis-has-progressed-to-dementia-family/12826202/

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was just reading this on Yahoo, sad.  I wish Bruce all the best, he has such a strong family support and I hope the new grandbaby brings precious smiles and happiness to him.

Esteemed Contributor

CNN

The family of Bruce Willis has announced that the actor is suffering from a form of dementia called frontotemporal dementia, or FTD for short.

In a statement shared Thursday, the 67-year-old star’s family stated that while the news “is painful, it is a relief to finally have a clear diagnosis.”

“Today there are no treatments for the disease, a reality that we hope can change in the years ahead. As Bruce’s condition advances, we hope that any media attention can be focused on shining a light on this disease that needs far more awareness and research,” the statement said.

According to the Mayo Clinic, frontotemporal dementia is an “umbrella term for a group of brain disorders that primarily affect the frontal and temporal lobes of the brain. These areas of the brain are generally associated with personality, behavior and language.”

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

That's what Connie Kunkle from HSN had.  She was so young, too.  

This is so sad, prayers to Bruce and his loved ones.Heart

Respected Contributor

I am so sorry for his devastating diagnosis.  I wish him and his family and doctors the best outcome possible. Heart

Trusted Contributor

@bewise wrote:

So very sad,let's hope it will get better?

It does not get better.

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Valued Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

It is so sad for him all five of girls and his wife.  It is wonderful that they are all family, including Demi.   Bruce had a knack back in his hey day to make my heart skip a beat while laughing at his antics.

While reading the story on People I saw that Susan Lucci's husband passed away on Monday.  That was a really long happy marriage.

Susan Lucci's husband died in March of 2022.......time to catch up on your reading.LOL

Honored Contributor

@Danky2 wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

It is so sad for him all five of girls and his wife.  It is wonderful that they are all family, including Demi.   Bruce had a knack back in his hey day to make my heart skip a beat while laughing at his antics.

While reading the story on People I saw that Susan Lucci's husband passed away on Monday.  That was a really long happy marriage.

Susan Lucci's husband died in March of 2022.......time to catch up on your reading.LOL

@Danky2 , this thread originated in 2022 when Bruce Willis was first diagnosed.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

My mom has the same terrible disease, but she is in her late 80's.  I feel saddest for Bruce's younger daughters who haven't had as much time with him as the older kids.

He is fortunate to have such a loving and supportive family and the means to get the best quality of care. 

The family has been very brave in sharing his story to promote awareness of this disease.  Hopefully in the not too distant future, there will be effective treatments to at least slow down the progression.