Honored Contributor

Bruce Willis' family has announced the actor has been diagnosed with aphasia

Symptoms

Aphasia is a sign of some other condition, such as a stroke or a brain tumor.

A person with aphasia may:

• Speak in short or incomplete sentences
  • Speak in sentences that don't make sense
  • Substitute one word for another or one sound for another
  • Speak unrecognizable words
  • Not understand other people's conversation
  • Write sentences that don't make sense

The most common cause of aphasia is brain damage resulting from a stroke — the blockage or rupture of a blood vessel in the brain. Loss of blood to the brain leads to brain cell death or damage in areas that control language.

Brain damage caused by a severe head injury, a tumor, an infection or a degenerative process also can cause aphasia. In these cases, the aphasia usually occurs with other types of cognitive problems, such as memory problems or confusion.

Primary progressive aphasia is the term used for language difficulty that develops gradually. This is due to the gradual degeneration of brain cells located in the language networks. Sometimes this type of aphasia will progress to a more generalized dementia.

Sometimes temporary episodes of aphasia can occur. These can be due to migraines, seizures or a transient ischemic attack (TIA). A TIA occurs when blood flow is temporarily blocked to an area of the brain. People who've had a TIA are at an increased risk of having a stroke in the near future.

Respected Contributor

Re: Bruce Willis' family has announced the actor has been diagnosed with aphasia

Just read this in The Daily Mail.

😢😢😢😢

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bruce Willis' family has announced the actor has been diagnosed with aphasia

This is so incredbily sad.  

Honored Contributor

Wondered what was going on with him.

Honored Contributor

Sending Love Light and prayers.jpeg

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I'm@SeaMaiden wrote:

Symptoms

Aphasia is a sign of some other condition, such as a stroke or a brain tumor.

A person with aphasia may:

• Speak in short or incomplete sentences
  • Speak in sentences that don't make sense
  • Substitute one word for another or one sound for another
  • Speak unrecognizable words
  • Not understand other people's conversation
  • Write sentences that don't make sense

The most common cause of aphasia is brain damage resulting from a stroke — the blockage or rupture of a blood vessel in the brain. Loss of blood to the brain leads to brain cell death or damage in areas that control language.

Brain damage caused by a severe head injury, a tumor, an infection or a degenerative process also can cause aphasia. In these cases, the aphasia usually occurs with other types of cognitive problems, such as memory problems or confusion.

Primary progressive aphasia is the term used for language difficulty that develops gradually. This is due to the gradual degeneration of brain cells located in the language networks. Sometimes this type of aphasia will progress to a more generalized dementia.

Sometimes temporary episodes of aphasia can occur. These can be due to migraines, seizures or a transient ischemic attack (TIA). A TIA occurs when blood flow is temporarily blocked to an area of the brain. People who've had a TIA are at an increased risk of having a stroke in the near future.

I heard this a bit ago but thanks for the explanation.  Helpful.

Honored Contributor

Wishes for all who are displaying symptoms of the devastating diagnosis....that they are  a short-lived temporary condition.  Hopefully, there are preventative measures to assuage the most serious complications.  Bruce Willis will be in the best of medical care and, of course, wishing him the most positive outcome possible.

Honored Contributor

What a scary thing it must be to start having symptoms for this affliction.  Wow, too bad.

Respected Contributor

Best Wishes to Bruce and his entire family.  He is only 67 years old.

Honored Contributor

This news brought me to tears.  As I type, I am crying.  I had no idea that Bruce Willis meant so much to me.  I guess I just like the guy.

I hope and pray that his way is eased by a loving family.