Frequent Contributor

Re: Brooke Shields Is Recovering After Breaking Her Femur

Glad, you mentioned that the weather plays a role in your pain, i took a tumble on ice, had no control and my feet went up in the air, somehow i came down on my left side, broke my arm and my hip hurt so bad. Every year my left area hurts when it gets cold, and my wrist and elbow, i rub it thinking that will help, silly but true.Body not the same after a fall never, but only reminds me when it gets cold. What does one do to help with their pain, but to rub topical and use a heating pad. To think, i was going out to pray and watch the birds. Guess, i should of looked down and not have my head in the sky. So sorry brooke has to go through her pain, i will  pray the lord does a fast mend for brooke, and comfort her body, mind and spirit. We never know what treasure one will find in our valleys. Family, friends and great reading material come to mind. Life is worth living, but helps to have a jigger of Macallan close, with a good comedy, my own personal self care.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

Balance boards are used around here to keep in shape for snow skiing. That's where I've seen them used here. 

@SilleeMee   Brooke's last post before the broken leg post was three weeks before she broke her leg.  It was a throwback photo of her skiing! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

She had to have her knee replaced prior to this also. She even admits to overdoing it with the exercise. I do believe it becomes an obsession for some.

Sometimes the old ego takes the place of commonsense. For women in the public eye, the pressure to look "perfect" tends to drive them to overdo both diet and exercise. 

Athletes fall into the same trap often. They compete to be strongest and in the process often cause themselves more trouble. You're seeing more and more "spontaneous" injuries in sports (torn ACLs, torn Achilles, torn bicep tendons, etc.). I think that at least some of those injuries come about because athletes make their muscles stronger than the ligaments and tendons. 

Functional strength and fitness seem more important to me for both athletes and us "normal" people. Being able to deadlift six hundred pounds is great, but how often do you need to lift six hundred pounds? I've never had to. As long as you can do what you need to do, you're probably as fit as you need to be. You don't need to be a marathoner if you never run in a marathon. 

I have a very strong suspicion that a whole lot of athletes are too fit and causing their own injuries. The future of sports training likely lies in a more moderate approach where athletes are trained to their ideal functional levels for the positions they play and no more. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Balance boards are used around here to keep in shape for snow skiing. That's where I've seen them used here. 

@SilleeMee   Brooke's last post before the broken leg post was three weeks before she broke her leg.  It was a throwback photo her skiing!

@Caaareful Shopper 

Back in my younger days I was a skier. The faster downhill, the better. I was invincible! These days I'm happy with sitting my butt on a piece of cardboard and slide down a gradual slope. LOL!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee   Brooke's last post before the broken leg post was three weeks before she broke her leg.  It was a throwback photo her skiing!

@Caaareful Shopper 

Back in my younger days I was a skier. The faster downhill, the better. I was invincible! These days I'm happy with sitting my butt on a piece of cardboard and slide down a gradual slope. LOL!

@SilleeMee   Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

In college I was on a cross-country skiing team.  I never liked downhill skiing -- the thrill was gone before it even began!  Now (I'll be 60 shortly), I speed walk with my 10-lb dog who loves to run in the snow while I hold her leash.  That's it for me & snow.