Honored Contributor

Re: Brooke Shields Is Recovering After Breaking Her Femur

@SharkE wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

I saw this recently and it really made me cringe for her.   I was once in a car accident where I suffered a compound open femur fracture on the right side and it was pretty brutal.  The femur is the largest bone in the body.  I also learned, back then, that along the right femur is the largest artery and when the EMT guys came to visit me in the hospital at some point they told me that I missed my femural artery by that much (showing me the thumb and forefinger pressed together).

If you blow out the femural artery it's very possible to end up dead unless the blood loss is stopped fairly quickly.

I hope hers isn't as bad as mine was.  I was in the hospital for 4 months, first in traction (boy do I have stories!), then in a body cast, then learning to walk again.   It was a very long recovery!

hope you got a big ol' settlelment, tax free to boot

I wish!  It was my soon-to-be ex driving MY freaking car so I also lost a car.    Good thing that back then the medical insurance you got at work was very comprehensive so it didn't cost me anything except for only getting weekly SDI in lieu of my salary.   But, between the car insurance and the work insurance I made out pretty well.

Meanwhile, while I was in the hospital, I learned the ex was taking money out of my checking account to play poker and whatever.    Got that taken care of from my hsp bed.    

BTW, as the driver in the accident, all he ended up with was a steering wheel imprint on his chest.  I had that fracture plus my face spent some time in the windshield (small toyota), so I had to have stitches.  They did a good job with the tiny stitches on my face.  You have to look hard to see any of the scars.   Wish they did better with putting the leg back together, as it's not straight and kind of bulges out a bit in the front plus, of course, bad scars - the round-ish one from where the bone came out and then they cut it larger on each end to get in there.

Unfortunately, I also ended up with bilateral torn rotator cuffs because, since they couldn't pull me out of the car from the passenger side they had to pull me out through the left.  A lot of my pain issues to this day stem from that accident.

Anyway, it's not about me.  I certainly wish her well!  Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

Ouch is right! I broke my femur 25 years ago - fell on it just right after my dog jumped on me. No osteoporosis. The ambulance ride to the hospital was excruciating and then they couldn't get an IV in for pain medication. I now have a rod in my right femur.

I can't wish Brooke a speedy recovery because recovery is long but I wish her minimal pain and maximum patience.

Valued Contributor

My mother is in her upper 80's. Two yrs ago getting off a plane at Thanksgiving she fell and broke her femur. She had surgery on it and has some pins and rods in it. It was about a four month recovery for her. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was just thinking....several months ago I read that Brooke had a partial knee replacement too.

Valued Contributor

Going to be 3 years when I was walking my dog that I fell, broke my femur.  My ortho said it was unusual to break a femur without being in a bad accident, but did so I can sympathize with her.  Was in a rehab facility for 7 weeks.  Couldn't put weight on my leg all that time.  Not fun, but must say once it heals no aches or pains.  At least not there.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

I saw this recently and it really made me cringe for her.   I was once in a car accident where I suffered a compound open femur fracture on the right side and it was pretty brutal.  The femur is the largest bone in the body.  I also learned, back then, that along the right femur is the largest artery and when the EMT guys came to visit me in the hospital at some point they told me that I missed my femural artery by that much (showing me the thumb and forefinger pressed together).

If you blow out the femural artery it's very possible to end up dead unless the blood loss is stopped fairly quickly.

I hope hers isn't as bad as mine was.  I was in the hospital for 4 months, first in traction (boy do I have stories!), then in a body cast, then learning to walk again.   It was a very long recovery!

hope you got a big ol' settlelment, tax free to boot

I wish!  It was my soon-to-be ex driving MY freaking car so I also lost a car.    Good thing that back then the medical insurance you got at work was very comprehensive so it didn't cost me anything except for only getting weekly SDI in lieu of my salary.   But, between the car insurance and the work insurance I made out pretty well.

Meanwhile, while I was in the hospital, I learned the ex was taking money out of my checking account to play poker and whatever.    Got that taken care of from my hsp bed.    

BTW, as the driver in the accident, all he ended up with was a steering wheel imprint on his chest.  I had that fracture plus my face spent some time in the windshield (small toyota), so I had to have stitches.  They did a good job with the tiny stitches on my face.  You have to look hard to see any of the scars.   Wish they did better with putting the leg back together, as it's not straight and kind of bulges out a bit in the front plus, of course, bad scars - the round-ish one from where the bone came out and then they cut it larger on each end to get in there.

Unfortunately, I also ended up with bilateral torn rotator cuffs because, since they couldn't pull me out of the car from the passenger side they had to pull me out through the left.  A lot of my pain issues to this day stem from that accident.

Anyway, it's not about me.  I certainly wish her well!  Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt 

LIke you needed any more bad news in your condition.  Glad he is your EX.

Honored Contributor

I wonder if she broke it while exercising.  She does a lot of high-impact exercising.  I think I mentioned on here a couple weeks or so ago that my endocrinologist told me not to do high-impact walking or exercising with severe osteoporosis.  So, I cut down to walking a mile per day with 2 one-gallon water jugs in each hand.  She said that was much better than a brisk 5-mile walk.

Valued Contributor

This is from People magazine website today -

On Sunday, the star, 55, shared a video of herself on crutches while practicing how to walk in a hospital after injuring her right leg. "Broke my femur. Beginning to mend. No matter what your challenge is, make a positive choice, for yourself, to move forward. #BeginningisNow," Shields wrote on Instagram along with the clip.

"There's only 20 percent weight...," she said on how much weight she puts on her injured femur. "The goal is to bend your knee each time like a little bit, just so you're not dragging it or hitching up your hip."

The footage also showed Shields wearing a hospital gown and non-slip socks.

Honored Contributor

I broke my left femur three years ago in a fall. It's not an especially fun injury. I was one of the unlucky ones who ended up with a nonunion fracture that took eighteen months to stabilize. Mine broke in a way that they couldn't put a rod down the inside of it, the preferred method for fixing it, but needed a long plate starting at the knee along the outside of the bone and going up to the hip with eight screws in it. For the first five months, it was completely no weight bearing on the leg. The most I was allowed to do was toe touch. Crutches aren't a big deal to me. I've been on and off them since I was two, so not a big deal. After five months with no healing, they decided that maybe it would start healing if I started walking on it. That was fun. Walking on a leg where you can feel things moving that shouldn't be moving is interesting in all the wrong kinds of ways. After eighteen months they decided it was as healed as it'll get despite a golfball-sized hole in the middle of the femur.

My endocrinologist says you can ignore all of the other tests for osteoporosis. If you break your femur in anything but a major accident, you've got osteoporosis. Everything else in your leg/knee should explode before you break your femur if your bones are good. Fracture surgeons rarely dealt with fractured femurs in the pre-airbag days as any accident with enough force to fracture the femur typically killed the person. It's a very big and strong bone. If you break it in anything but a major traumatic event (getting kicked by a horse, major car accident, etc.) it's pretty much proof you have osteoporosis.

Brooke likely had the rod repair method since she's already weight-bearing. She should come through it fine. It just takes time.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

That sounds awful.  I wish her a speedy recovery.   Does anyone know who she broke her fermur?  Did she fall or was in some kind of accident?