Honored Contributor

Brooke Shields Is Recovering After Breaking Her Femur

[ Edited ]

23165269-3BC5-46BB-98CF-911A8FA43DDE.jpeg

No mention of how she broke it

The femur, the longest and strongest bone in the human body, is quite hard to break. Unless your bone has been weakened (most commonly the result of osteoporosis, medication side effects or cancer), it takes quite a lot of force to sustain a femur fracture.

https://www.etonline.com/brooke-shields-is-recovering-after-breaking-her-femur-160935?fbclid=IwAR16j...

Honored Contributor

Re: Brooke Shields Is Recovering After Breaking Her Femur

I saw this recently and it really made me cringe for her.   I was once in a car accident where I suffered a compound open femur fracture on the right side and it was pretty brutal.  The femur is the largest bone in the body.  I also learned, back then, that along the right femur is the largest artery and when the EMT guys came to visit me in the hospital at some point they told me that I missed my femural artery by that much (showing me the thumb and forefinger pressed together).

If you blow out the femural artery it's very possible to end up dead unless the blood loss is stopped fairly quickly.

I hope hers isn't as bad as mine was.  I was in the hospital for 4 months, first in traction (boy do I have stories!), then in a body cast, then learning to walk again.   It was a very long recovery!

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt 😧😧😧😧

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt 

So sorry you had to go through that.  I am pretty sure hers is rough.  Because of her age, she must have osteoporosis.  My endocrinologist told my DH, if I were to take a face-down fall on hard floor, I probably would not survive because osteoporosis is so bad.  I did suffer a fall recently but fell buttocks down and broke my sacrococcygeus and I have been hurting for (now) about 2-1/2 months and some days when it is really cold, it hurts even worse.  So, I cannot imagine what you suffered, how awful it would have been. 

Honored Contributor

I was thinking she may have osteo too. I read that Ashley Judd broke her leg in 4 places while in Africa. It was difficult to get help because she was in a remote area and was in unbearable pain.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

23165269-3BC5-46BB-98CF-911A8FA43DDE.jpeg

No mention of how she broke it

The femur, the longest and strongest bone in the human body, is quite hard to break. Unless your bone has been weakened (most commonly the result of osteoporosis, medication side effects or cancer), it takes quite a lot of force to sustain a femur fracture.

https://www.etonline.com/brooke-shields-is-recovering-after-breaking-her-femur-160935?fbclid=IwAR16j...

Ouch!  Just seeing that bone broken in half gave me a flashback.  While I was in and out, I don't remember every minute of the situation I was in but I do recall pretty clearly feeling the bone sticking out of my leg.

Esteemed Contributor

That is a terrible injury.  My cousins daughter had a tragic motorcycle accident last summer, she was the passenger, the driver was killed.   She was 25 years old at the time and had multiple broken bones after being thrown from the bike.  After months of surgeries and physical therapy, she is just now starting to walk on her own. (it happened in June)......

She is fortunate to be alive but her femur was one of the broken bones and was extremely difficult for her to heal and she's in her twenties.  

I wish Brooke the best but I am curious how she broke it.

Honored Contributor

I know that we had a very controversial thread here not long ago about tattoos.  Brooke recently had one removed from her wrist.  One person asked why would she do that to which another person responded "You don't put a bumper sticker on a Rolls Royce."  Now, that is how I felt about my children's bodies and why I would not want them to get tattoos.  They never wanted any.  Ear piercing for the musicians was different.  But no, they liked their bodies the way they were born.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I saw this recently and it really made me cringe for her.   I was once in a car accident where I suffered a compound open femur fracture on the right side and it was pretty brutal.  The femur is the largest bone in the body.  I also learned, back then, that along the right femur is the largest artery and when the EMT guys came to visit me in the hospital at some point they told me that I missed my femural artery by that much (showing me the thumb and forefinger pressed together).

If you blow out the femural artery it's very possible to end up dead unless the blood loss is stopped fairly quickly.

I hope hers isn't as bad as mine was.  I was in the hospital for 4 months, first in traction (boy do I have stories!), then in a body cast, then learning to walk again.   It was a very long recovery!

hope you got a big ol' settlelment, tax free to boot

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

OUCH!  I wish her a speedy recovery.