Esteemed Contributor

Re: Visiting Broadway? Wear Your Mask!

@sunshine45 wrote:

went to the theater on thursday night.

broadway across america in baltimore.

they no longer require masks , but do require  proof of vaccination.

Sunday, saw Moulin Rouge, Broadway in Chicago. First time I didn't need to provide vaccine information. Still needed to wear masks though. May depend on the theater; a week ago, Shakespeare Theater required both (fortunately, I keep a vaccine copy in my wallet as that show had been rescheduled so many times that I forgot I was going until I saw a calendar reminder after lunch!) I've seen people taken by surprise as these rules differ from the city itself, where masks are no longer mandated. Nevertheless, if you go somewhere that requires them, you should just wear the stupid thing!  As far as I'm concerned, the masks gave us the ability to live a relatively normal life during a very abnormal period.

Super Contributor

Who's Patti Lapone? Never heard of her

Respected Contributor

@Auntie CC wrote:

Who's Patti Lapone? Never heard of her

She played "Evita" on Broadway.  I think she is best known for that role.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Here we go.

Those are the actors and director from the production.   Not audience members. 

They all meet the production safety protocols in adherence with Actor Equity requirements.  They are not audience members.  They are obeying every rule.  The masking rule is for the audience. 

It's pretty basic and straightforward.

@Johnnyeager because they're better than - in a different class than the audience?  Who gives a rats backside about protocols.  Yep, do as I say, rules for thee but not for me.....

@CelticCrafter Seriously? Have you any idea how ridiculous your statement sounds? They are providng a paid service to the audience, the same as any private business including airlines. Each establishment has their policy regarding masking and any other protocols they may want to put inplace. Their "house" their rules. Same as what you deem acceptable behaviour in your own house. Don't like it? Keep your "rat's backside" at home, or give your business to an establishment that meets your views.

Right now there is an issue with leaked video taken at a Broadway show of an actor during a nude scene. The theater had banned phones and was collecting them in the lobby and locking them up. Thiis jerk smuggled it in, took the video and put it up on the internet. According to your statement, are you saying that this behavior is acceptable because an audience member can do as they please?

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

went to the theater on thursday night.

broadway across america in baltimore.

they no longer require masks , but do require  proof of vaccination.

really enjoyed AINT TOO PROUD.....go see it if you havent.....it was FANTASTIC!

very glad i did not have to wear a mask.

this was the first play that they have done this with in our area.

i would say a little less than half were masked, a little more than half were unmased. cocktains/drinks and snacks were now allowed in the theater.

I can't imagine why you would need to show "proof of vaccination"....is this to protect others?  Almost everyone that I know who has now gotten Covid has been fully vaccinated & boosted.  The vaccine does NOT prevent transmission.

Esteemed Contributor

NYC, until early March, required proof of vaccination for all indoor entertainment venues, including movies, sports arenas, theaters and restaurants.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lupone is a highly talented, accomplished entertainer. She's both a solid actor and an amazing singer, who's had significant success on Broadway, on television, in films, in the West End and so on. I admire her talent, her performances and her humor. She's also a diva. This is not the first time she's gone on a tear with audience members who violate protocols of one sort or another. Her points are well taken but perhaps playing the diva role with more tact and less hostility would net her the results she's seeking.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Oh H@ll NO, will I go to a Broadway production any time soon.

Good for you.  It is this simple if wearing a mask bothers you don't go to places that ask you to wear one.  Why cant everyone just do what you are doing.  

For me I will not get on a plane because the mask requirement is lifted.  I would not feel comfortable.  Would I go on a plane and complain that would be a big NO, because it is their rules and I have a choice.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

For those unfamiliar with Patti's theater work, maybe you'll remember she played the mother on the television series "Life Goes On."

She never did much in films, but I remember her as Harrison Ford's sister in "Witness" and Dan Aykroyd's wife Florine in "Driving Miss Daisy."

Life-Goes-On-Reboot.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager No need to point out ignorance, they are totally capable of doing it all by themselves!  Totally agree with your comments and so sick and tired of Me, Me, Me, Me and the narcissism  it involves.