Esteemed Contributor

Broadway Queen Patti Rules! Go Patti!

[ Edited ]

At the end of a performance of Company, Patti Lupone scolds an audience member about a mask.   Masks are still required during the entire performance by The Broadway League.

The event was recorded by an audience member and is readily available online.

"Put your mask over your nose, that’s why you’re in the theater,” LuPone can be heard lecturing the bare-faced patron at the beginning of the 30-second clip. The two-time Tony winner — who battled COVID-19 back in February — subsequently blasted: “That is the rule. If you don’t want to follow the rule, get the eff out!”

QVC Customer Care

Re: Visiting Broadway? Wear Your Mask!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wonder why the offender was not discreetly asked to comply with the masking requirement by an usher or a member of management during the performance. 

Respected Contributor

Ridiculous!

Esteemed Contributor

Not that I have any intention of going to Broadway anytime during my lifetime just the fact I have to wear a mask makes it even more certain I won't go. 

Esteemed Contributor

However, the maskless woman in the audience wasn’t taking LuPone’s dressing-down lightly, yelling back: “I pay your salary!”

“Bull!  Chris Harper pays my salary!” the Broadway icon raged in response, referencing the name of “Company’s” producer.

Indeed, ridiculous that the audience member thinks they don't have to follow clearly stated and disclosed rules.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, Patti LuPone for stressing there are rules and they must be followed.  I would have done the same.

Esteemed Contributor

Broadway performers are not required to wear masks while onstage.

Agreements between Actors Equity and The Broadway League require cast and crew vaccination and frequent testing. 

That is why shows are often canceled when a major cast member tests positive. 

Honored Contributor

Good for PL!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Oh H@ll NO, will I go to a Broadway production any time soon.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead