Honored Contributor

Re: British actors with America accents.

@MW in Iowa wrote:

Nicole Kidman said Lucy has been her biggest challenge yet. I can't wait to see this movie. I thought she was all wrong for this part , i hope to be wrong. Just her body type , tall and super thin seems like a detraction.

@MW in Iowa @They will pad her clothing. I know Kidman can do comedy, but can she do goofy comedy like Lucy could? I won't sell Nicole short. She probably can. 

Honored Contributor

@kittykatkay wrote:

I wonder if sometimes an actor or actress uses a voice coach depending on a particular accent in a role they are playing.  I know in the past (can't remember exactly who) but some have mentioned using a coach.

Another good one is Charlize Theron in the movie, "Monster".

@kittykatkay @They often train with a dialect coach. That's how most of them have become so good. 

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't have minded seeing Debra Messing in the part of Lucy.   She can do that type of comedy more, plus I think she would look more the part.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Two Aussies that can do great American accents are Toni Collette and Margot Robbie. I've been watching Robbie in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and I had no idea that she was not American. Jason Stackhouse a character from True Bood was played by Aussie, Ryan Kwanten. You'd never know he wasn't Louisiana born and bred. 

Bill Moyer, who played Vampire Bill, on True Blood, is English. He sounds like he grew up in Louisiana. Michael Sheen, Welch, played American, Dr. William Masters on Masters of Ex  (with an S).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Eamonn  Walker, Chicago Fire

Jesse Spencer, Chicago Fire, (Australian )

Roxy Sternberg, FBI Most Wanted

Keisha Castle-Huges, FBI Most Wanted

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Respected Contributor

Oliver Stark, who plays the firefighter, Buck on "911" is British.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Two Aussies that can do great American accents are Toni Collette and Margot Robbie. I've been watching Robbie in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and I had no idea that she was not American. Jason Stackhouse a character from True Bood was played by Aussie, Ryan Kwanten. You'd never know he wasn't Louisiana born and bred. 

Bill Moyer, who played Vampire Bill, on True Blood, is English. He sounds like he grew up in Louisiana. Michael Sheen, Welch, played American, Dr. William Masters on Masters of Ex  (with an S).

Oh yes, Sheen. He has done a lot of American accent roles including in two films I love, Midnight in Paris and Admission.

I loved the Masters of Sex series but have to say he slipped sometimes with his American accent. He's usually spot on though.

Honored Contributor

sam palladio

loved him as the southern country singer on NASHVILLE.....with no trace of a british accent.

this season i watched the tv show REBEL and he had his british accent......amazong how different the two characters sound.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

i also remember the character of mark on ROSEANNE..... glenn quinn and i had absolutely no idea that he was irish and his character was rural american.....he did that accent so well. i did not even know until he was on another tv show.

may he rest in peace

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Kate Winslet can do a variety of American accents extremely well.

Let me preface by saying I really like Kate, this will probably sound weird, but I find her acting loses a little something when she is doing an American accent. Technically her accents are fine, I just prefer her without it.