Respected Contributor

Interesting enough, Queen Charlotte, married to Mad King George III during that very time, was said to be of mixed race. Look it up, totally fascinating. 

Honored Contributor

@Cin77 wrote:

It's a fantasy but wouldn't be wonderful if we could be more like this movie as far as race relations.

Agreed but what about sexism?  It's very old fashioned regarding women and their place in society.

Honored Contributor

Oh my gosh....I've already watched the entire season 5 times!!!!  

I absolutely loved it.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I watched the first episode last night, enjoyed it and will watch the whole thing. Shonda Rimes(Grey's Anatomy) is the creator. Color blind casting has been prevalent on the stage for awhile, now is arriving in movies. As for sexism, it was prevalent in that era but not recognized as such. Women were not expected to have a career up to the 1960s. If they were sent to college, it was expected they would "catch" a man, marry and have children. Choices of lifestyles for women were mostly enabled by the invention of the birth control pill.

Honored Contributor

@Catch71 wrote:

@LindaSal 

I guess I didn't realize it was a comedy.  I will watch a few more episodes; maybe I will get into it.  My daughter thinks I should watch Virgin River.  Her husband says its "Cheesey" but she said its sweet story.

@Catch71 -it's not a comedy. 

Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

@Catch71 

I did not know it was a comedy either.  I thought it was a period drama, but then I have not read the books.

I will be watching it later today.  I have Virgin River on my list to watch too.  

@4kitties - it's not a comedy. Not at all.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh 

Ok, thanks!  I am not sure what to expect now, but I will watch this afternoon.  I am thinking that I will like it.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

Bridgerton is not a documentary, it is an updated regency romance.  It is a story about a widow and her 8 attractive children who mom needs to marry off. The actors are gorgeous, the costumes and scenery are beautiful, and there is romance, and yes ( gasp )  sex.  If you are looking for historical accuracy watch PBS, both takes have their place. I read the whole Bridgerton series , and the Duke is supposed to be incredibly handsome, and he is. 🥰

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I watched a few episodes, but despite the beautiful costumes, I just found it silly and the subject matter was just a drawn out over and over angst of ridiculousness.

I didn't care anymore about all these  rules they had in those days.

I also found the other family with the not so good looking daughters and the mother not very good actors.

It just seemed silly.

I know a lot of people loved it. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

@gidgetgh 

Ok, thanks!  I am not sure what to expect now, but I will watch this afternoon.  I am thinking that I will like it.

@4kitties 1st part of the first episode was a little slow.  By the time I got to the last scenes of the first episode, I was hooked.  It's a wonderful series.