Esteemed Contributor

@lopsie2 wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

What I found to be strange was that when it comes to race & color we should be color blind even though it is set in 1813 high society London.  In that regard we're supposed to think like it's 2020. You see people of color as lords, ladies, dukes and even the queen. There are mixed race couples which is accenpted out in the open.

That said, when it comes to other issues such as women's rights, women are second class citizens.  It's now 1813.  Women are controlled by the men in the family and their only goal is supposed to be a good marriage. It's a scandal if they become pregnant outside of marriage!

I couldn't have said it better myself. I cannot get past the fact that black actors are playing the parts of wealthy white people circa 1813 and I refuse to suspend disbelief. And NO ONE will talk about it.

Black actors aren't playing the parts of wealthy white people - they are playing the parts of wealthy black people.  It was even explained in the show - that the king fell in love with a black woman (which is historically accurate- Charlotte is believed to be of mixed race) and that gave black people rights and land ownership they otherwise would not have had.  Call it an alternate reality.  Really, it doesn't matter to me because it's just a television show.  

Honored Contributor

@lopsie2 Agreed that no one will talk about it....I'm fine with it however if we're going to behave as if it's the modern era then treat women the same way not like second class citizens.

Valued Contributor

I loved it!!! As a escape from reality and fabulous "eye candy", it fit the bill for me.  As far as historical accuracy, I feel sure it was well off the mark in many ways.  I didn't watch it to learn about history, but just for the a lovely diversion with lots to smile about!!! Heart

Honored Contributor

Personally, I'm not obsessed with absolute historical accuracy. If that was the case, one might seek out a documentary. On the other hand, glaring inaccuracy isn't a draw either, unless, as noted, one is looking to view something in the fantasy realm. Nothing wrong with that either, but then don't call it a 'period drama' when it's something altogether different. Also worth noting, despite much speculation, there is nothing definitive on the ethnicity of Queen Charlotte and any African connection is reportedly tenuous, at best. As for the nobility, historically, just as women were considered their husband's property during the time-frame of this show, there appear to have been no Black members of the British peerage. Moreover, though more open minds exist now, open mixed race relationships were not widely accepted in 1813... Why suspend reality in some area and not in others, one might wonder...? 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

Thoroughly enjoying this series.  It has a "Dangerous Liaison" feel, which is one of my all-time favorite movies.  Even better, the cast is diverse and not the usual ho-hum.  Kudos to Shonda Rhimes for upsetting the apple cart.

Honored Contributor

I haven't watched it, but a friend was telling me about this duke and how handsome was.....I defnitey agree.

Who Is Regé-Jean Page? Meet Bridgerton's Simon Basset, Duke of Hastings

Respected Contributor

I liked it but I can't say I loved it!  I can say that the actor, who plays Simon, is hotter than hot!!!!  If they make a Season 2, fine, if they don't fine too!  I love English actors, I don't know why but for some reason, I think, overall, they're much better than American actors.

Honored Contributor

Neither of us liked it one bit.  Someone here posted it was akin to either Downton Abby or the Crown.  Not!

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Neither of us liked it one bit.  Someone here posted it was akin to either Downton Abby or the Crown.  Not!

That's really unfortunate.  I think people don't know how to classify it - seriously, when was the last time a romance like this was put on screen?  Usually the source material is a little more refined.  It's also unfortunate when people who have only seen a couple of episodes tell others it's a much see - without knowing what comes up in later episodes. I don't know which thread said it, but someone commented that it wasn't necessarily something they could tell people to watch even though they liked it themselves. Especially people one doesn't know in real life.  Similarly, I liked it and will watch any future seasons.  But, I can't tell people I don't know well to watch it - or, at the very least, without warning them so they know what to look out for.

If I had to describe it, I would call it a Jane Austin wannabe with a heck of a lot more sex.  

Honored Contributor

I was watching the Today show this morning, they had on I believe the creator of the show who said they will be filming season two in the Spring. The second season will focus on the oldest brother ( we better see Simon).