Super Contributor

Brian Williams to Anchor MSNBC for Pope's Visit

Looks like Brian W. will be making his MSNBC debut on Tuesday at 3pm EST for the Pope's visit.

It will be interesting to see how he does as it's the first on air assignment since the big issue that ended his anchor job at NBC News.

I don't agree with what he did, but I always liked him on the news.

Honored Contributor

Re: Brian Williams to Anchor MSNBC for Pope's Visit

Very ironic, isn't It?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

He must be hoping for a one-on-one and absolution for his sins.

Honored Contributor

I really, really wish he hadn't felt the need to exaggerate his role. Although I like Lester, I don't look forward to the news with him in the same way I did with BW.  I watched his evening news almost every day that I watched the news; now if I'm watching CBS or ABC prior to 6:30 I don't switch channels although if I'm just tuning in to see news at 6:30 I see Lester Holt.

Having said all that - I expect him to do a great job.  He's always good at these big events and this one is huge. Let's just hope he stays grounded in truth.

Honored Contributor

BW was never a favorite of mine.  I thought he far too often injected himself into his news casts.  I thought he was phony bologna from a long time back.

Esteemed Contributor

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing Brian's coverage of the Pope's visit.

Brian made some serious mistakes, which cost him loss of respect and his entire career.  He has paid dearly for this.  He has publicly apologized.  

What more do people want?  There are far worse people than him walking this planet,

Sometimes I wonder if his lack of formal education caused him to exaggerate his experiences to elevate his self-worth.  Not an excuse, merely a potential explanation.  

Frequent Contributor

PamfromCT, those are excellent observations. I couln't agree more.  What BW did was far more injurious to himself and his own reputation than anything done to the viewing public.  It was stupid and unneccasry and I hope he's learned and grown from the experience.  It's interesting that NBC chose to re-introduce him on-air during the Papal visit.  For one thing, all the emphasis will be on the Pope, not on the commentators.  Also, reporting on "The Pope" may make it harder for detractors of BW to be critical.  It's kind of a savvy move on the part of NBC, in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

Brian made some serious mistakes, which cost him loss of respect and his entire career.  He has paid dearly for this.  He has publicly apologized.  

What more do people want?  There are far worse people than him walking this planet,

Sometimes I wonder if his lack of formal education caused him to exaggerate his experiences to elevate his self-worth.  Not an excuse, merely a potential explanation.  

EGO?  But on the other hand, there are hundreds maybe thousands of people who have worked and gone to school and have the integrity that the job requires.  How about they get a chance to do it right?  What about the thousands that would never do something like that? 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@PamfromCT wrote:

EGO?  But on the other hand, there are hundreds maybe thousands of people who have worked and gone to school and have the integrity that the job requires.  How about they get a chance to do it right?  What about the thousands that would never do something like that? 

I certainly agree with your point.  Perhaps I failed to make my point more clear.

My thought is that this man has paid dearly for his fatal flaw.  I guess my personal belief is that he will pay for his mistakes for the rest of his life.  To what end does it serve to make him wear a Scarlet Letter for the rest of his life?  How many people in public life have betrayed trust in many areas and gone on to try to pick up the pieces of their lives and move on?  There is, in many cases, an opportunity for redemption in some way.  

Again, I appreciate your thoughts and would never deny them.  I am hoping that so many of us - me included - can benefit from hearing the message of faith and love from the amazing Pope Francis.  

Trusted Contributor

We like the NBC correspondents like Pete Williams, Tom Costello, etc. and watched the Nightly News with Brian because of them - not because of Brian. But we really like Lester Holt and are thoroughly enjoying his turn at taking over the anchor chair. Personally I thought Brian always came across as rather pompous. It could be he actually had a very severe inferiority complex of some sort and was trying to compensate for it with his over-the-top "stories." I like MSNBC and watch Morning Joe, Andrea Mitchell, Hardball, etc. - and I'll be watching today with Brian. Everyone deserves a second chance. Hopefully he has learned from his past mistakes.