Trusted Contributor

Book recommendation for a high school graduate?

Do you have any good book recommendations for a high school graduate?  I'm not really sure what I'm looking for and when I went to Barnes & Noble the salesman told me I missed the graduation book table by a few days.  That was what I was hoping to find...appropriate books all in one place.  He said some were taken from philosophy, some from religion, etc.  I didn't want to browse the whole store trying to find something that jumped out at me.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Respected Contributor

Re: Book recommendation for a high school graduate?

Are you wanting to give a book that they want to read or a book they will just keep on a shelf and then donate to Goodwill? Honestly most of those books on the future, life,poems,quotes,etc just sit there. Why not give a gift card to a book store or Amazon and let them choose? I sincerely am not being snarky.I just saw how my girls left those behind when the went off to college and never paid attention to them. Their friends did the same.

Honored Contributor

It is a different world, but my DS, who is in college, still prefers books over the Nook, which the rest of us have. And he did take some to college with him. One of the standbys is Dr. Seuss' Oh, the Places You'll Go! That's a fun one to read and is very uplifting. It's never to early for What Color is Your Parachute? IMO. If he is going on to college, The College Survival Book and books like that will be helpful. Inspirational books from favorite celebrities and/or politicians would be good too. I got DS a book with copies of famous graduation guest speakers' addresses to graduates, but that was on the sale table. (You might want to check there to see what you can find!) Good luck! Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Thank you both for your replies.  I definitely didn't want a book of poems or quotes.  I think I know more of what I don't want than what I do want.  

beach-mom, I saw that College Survival book in a search I did.  Luckily, my library has it, so I put a hold on it.  I'll flip through it and see if that's what I'm looking for. 

When I graduated high school, my aunt bought me that Dr. Seuss book.  I love it and still have it.  It's something that's very special to me.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Contributor

It is difficult to recommend a book without knowing the person's interest; e.g. sports, history, physics, government, the classics, autobiographies, etc.

So go to a bookstore and get a salesperson's help using interests as a guide..

Honored Contributor

Regardless of his/her politics Bill O'Reilly has written some best sellers (made into TV movies) non-fiction books called, "Killing Kennedy", "Killing Patton", "Killing Lincoln", "The Last Days of Lincoln".  

Dana Perino - Often a commentator on Fox News recently wrote a book (another best seller) called "And the Good News Is".  Ms Perino was the Press Secretary for President George W Bush during the years 2007-2009.  Her book tells what was happening from an insiders point of view.  The thing that keeps her book from being political (as I understand it) is because she tells many GOOD stories about Republicans and Democrats.  It is something unusual in that it's supposed to show the good side of politics.

Often intelligent young people just getting out of high school find politics and the Washington DC political game interesting.  If he/she has any interest in politics they might find it interesting.  Ms Perino's book is one that can be picked up, read a little and then go back to it (which might be good by a pool or beach).

Respected Contributor

How about a Barnes & Noble gift certificate?

This might even help in buying textbooks (our local university has a bookstore run by B&N).