Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,160
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

So sad to watch Bonanza and realize the entire "family" is pretty much dead now  and mostly all died from cancer ....some people say that when they were filming Bonanza, it was  down wind  filming from  the nuclear testing that they use to do... and everyone on set got doses of radiation.  I do not know if this is true or not, but maybe explains all the deaths of major characters.  Here is one explanation 

 

https://people.com/tv/michael-landon-pancreatic-cancer-reelz-clip/

 

AND

 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/06/downwinders-nuclear-fallout-hollywood-john-wayne

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,713
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

I too was enamored with Little Joe. I remember the episode where he got married and then his wife died. I don't remember how or why she died but boy did I cry. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,160
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@kittykatkay wrote:

@candyagain wrote:

I just saw Leonard Nimoy in s role on Gunsmoke. Not sure if it was pre-Spock......was fun to see!

 

LOL on the comment about the Cartwright wives/girlfriends passing away......Smiley Very Happy


@candyagain ...YEP, that was definitely Nimoy and it looks like pre Spock but maybe not by many years.  EDITED:  I stand corrected....star trek's first episode was in 1966 and Spock was in it, so......he starred in both Gunsmoke and Star Trek the same year!!!

 

 

See the source image

 


Spock made both a good Indian and Vulcan😄

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,020
Registered: ‎07-26-2019

@SeaMaiden wrote:

So sad to watch Bonanza and realize the entire "family" is pretty much dead now  and mostly all died from cancer ....some people say that when they were filming Bonanza, it was  down wind  filming from  the nuclear testing that they use to do... and everyone on set got doses of radiation.  I do not know if this is true or not, but maybe explains all the deaths of major characters.  Here is one explanation 

 

https://people.com/tv/michael-landon-pancreatic-cancer-reelz-clip/

 

AND

 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/06/downwinders-nuclear-fallout-hollywood-john-wayne


  The same was said abt another  famous movie, the  1956 Howard Hughes movie directed by ****** Powell   called The  Conqueror   with John Wayne and Susan Hayward and Agnes Moorehead   that was filmed  near St George,  Utah  that was 137 miles down wind from the  Nevada National Security site .  . It was said that Howard Hughes bought up all the  movie copies out of guilt .  

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conqueror_(1956_film)

Valued Contributor
Posts: 684
Registered: ‎06-04-2016

@SeaMaiden wrote:

So sad to watch Bonanza and realize the entire "family" is pretty much dead now  and mostly all died from cancer ....some people say that when they were filming Bonanza, it was  down wind  filming from  the nuclear testing that they use to do... and everyone on set got doses of radiation.  I do not know if this is true or not, but maybe explains all the deaths of major characters.  Here is one explanation 

 

https://people.com/tv/michael-landon-pancreatic-cancer-reelz-clip/

 

AND

 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/06/downwinders-nuclear-fallout-hollywood-john-wayne


---

 

I had not heard this about Bonanza. 

 

Aside from a few wide exterior shots, Bonanza was filmed on a Hollywood soundstage.  The Ponderosa and  and Virginia City were actually just a Paramount backlot.

 

Dan Blocker died from a pulmonary embolism, after undergoing gallbladder surgery

 

. . . . .

edited to remove information previously contributed by another

 

 

Valued Contributor
Posts: 659
Registered: ‎06-04-2012

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Highlands72 wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Lorne Greene and Pernell Roberts both wore hair pieces. 


---

 

So did Dan Blocker.

 

His was the most obvious  (in my opinion).

 

 Wonder if Hop Sing wore one ?? LOL 

 


 


@Shelbelle You just reminded me in bringing up Hop Sing that my mother when an Emergency Room nurse worked on him when he was brought in to the hospital with gun shot wounds from a SFO airport hijacking, pretty scary!

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,036
Registered: ‎07-25-2010

@rockygems123 wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Highlands72 wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Lorne Greene and Pernell Roberts both wore hair pieces. 


---

 

So did Dan Blocker.

 

His was the most obvious  (in my opinion).

 

 Wonder if Hop Sing wore one ?? LOL 

 


 


@Shelbelle You just reminded me in bringing up Hop Sing that my mother when an Emergency Room nurse worked on him when he was brought in to the hospital with gun shot wounds from a SFO airport hijacking, pretty scary!


 

 

@rockygems123 I just read about that shooting a few weeks ago....Victor Sen Yung had a very interesting life.  The Wiki article said Pernell Roberts gave the eulogy at his funeral, and paid the funeral expenses.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,134
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@alicedee wrote:

@rockygems123 wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Highlands72 wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Lorne Greene and Pernell Roberts both wore hair pieces. 


---

 

So did Dan Blocker.

 

His was the most obvious  (in my opinion).

 

 Wonder if Hop Sing wore one ?? LOL 

 


 


@Shelbelle You just reminded me in bringing up Hop Sing that my mother when an Emergency Room nurse worked on him when he was brought in to the hospital with gun shot wounds from a SFO airport hijacking, pretty scary!


 

 

@rockygems123 I just read about that shooting a few weeks ago....Victor Sen Yung had a very interesting life.  The Wiki article said Pernell Roberts gave the eulogy at his funeral, and paid the funeral expenses.


Such a  sad story, had I know I would not have made a joke about him. May he rest in peace. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,134
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

I just saw now that Hop Sing died 40 years ago, I had assumed it was a recent occurrence, until I realized that Roberts died long ago.  Silly me !!!

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,036
Registered: ‎07-25-2010

@Shelbelle Victor Sen Yun didn't die in the highjacking shooting....I believe it was from a gas leak at his home years later.