Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: Bohemian Rhapsody Premieres on HBO Sat. July 6th 8:00 p.m. ET

I totally agree @haddon9. I LOVED Bohemian Rhapsody, saw it twice in the theaters and own the DVD. I saw Rocketman and it was just OK for me. I found it so sad (there was certainly sadness in both), but never saw a joy in performing in Elton that there was in Freddie. I am so glad that Sir Elton, who I do believe is a musical genius, is now happy in his personal life. if you are going to see a movie to be entertained, I found BR much more enjoyable and fun.

And, as much as I love musicals where people break into song and dance for no apparent reason, I did not like the fantasy scenes in Rocketman. I think if it was not supposed to be based on a real person, I might have liked them more. They didn't work for me.

As for the timeline and history in BR, again, I don't care. It was about Freddie and the music and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bohemian Rhapsody Premieres on HBO Sat. July 6th 8:00 p.m. ET

[ Edited ]

@Lisa now in AZ wrote:

I totally agree @haddon9. I LOVED Bohemian Rhapsody, saw it twice in the theaters and own the DVD. I saw Rocketman and it was just OK for me. I found it so sad (there was certainly sadness in both), but never saw a joy in performing in Elton that there was in Freddie. I am so glad that Sir Elton, who I do believe is a musical genius, is now happy in his personal life. if you are going to see a movie to be entertained, I found BR much more enjoyable and fun.

And, as much as I love musicals where people break into song and dance for no apparent reason, I did not like the fantasy scenes in Rocketman. I think if it was not supposed to be based on a real person, I might have liked them more. They didn't work for me.

As for the timeline and history in BR, again, I don't care. It was about Freddie and the music and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

@Lisa now in AZ   That's it!  I was remarking to my DH about both movies...I felt that though Bohemian Rhapsody has a sad ending...we all know that Freddie dies, ....and Elton who was an alcoholic & drug addict straightens out and is now happily married with two young children....so there is a happy ending there....yet there was a joy and passion in the performances of BH that I didn't see & feel in Rocketman. 

I have seen Elton John in concert several times many years ago and they were amazing performances with lots of heart & energy....I didn't feel that at all in the movie.