Valued Contributor

Re: Bohemian Rhapsody Premieres on HBO Sat. July 6th 8:00 p.m. ET

DH and I enjoyed watiching it.I always love to see the process that goes into writing a song.I guess that's why I'm really enjoying Songland this summer.

Anyways,we liked that they included his kitty cats in the movie.Obviously,they were beloved to him. Any man that is a cat lover is a-okay in my book!Cat Very Happy

Respected Contributor

Very enjoyable movie!

Loved the scene where they came up with the distinctive beat for the beginning of "We Will Rock You."

Rami Malek delivered a wonderful performance as Freddie.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I finally watched this last night, on a re-showing on HBO.

I liked it but have to admit I liked Rocketman better.  Although this film was kind of what I was expecting Rocketman to be like - lots of songs performed with drama in between.  Rather Rocketman was part musical in that the songs were incorporated into the storyling and sung instead of talking.  But that's not why I liked Rocketman a little better - I just think it was more complex or something.

But I did like B.R.  and Rami Malek was incredible. I felt so bad for Freddy Mercury's wife in it, although I'm happy she stayed in his life.  I"m a little surprised he realized he was gay (or bisexual as he first said) so late; I thought he would have realized it sorry.   

One thing I didn't care for - which only lasted a couple of seconds, is a scene where his father, who had been very disapproving of Freddy's name change and career, smilingly said "turn on the TV set" to catch Queen on Live Aid.  So all of a sudden all is well with the father and Freddy's career?  That was made short shrift and really glossed over - easy way out.  I also thought the film really underplayed Freddy's drug use and promiscuity - that all was dismissed fairly quickly (unlike in Rocketman where we really saw Elton's downfall and him pulling himself up again). 

So, I think Rocketman was the better, more honest and more complex film.  But I still enjoyed B.R.

Respected Contributor

I enjoyed the movie because I loved the music and thought Rami Malek was superb..  From what I've read, much of the time line is changed in the movie. 

The movie made it seem like FM's solo career is what kept the band apart. He wasn't the only one working on a solo career. Roger Taylor had released multiple albums.  The band had already reunited almost a year before Live Aid. FM could not have told his mates before Live Aid his diagnosis. He was diagnosed in 1987, not 1985.

I'm not fond of changing history just to add impact to a story.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee 

those are some of the reasons why i found this movie to be quite sad. i guess i just viewed it a bit differently than some.

of course, there are some close to him that says there are quite a few inaccuracies AND timeline problems in this movie.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Finally watched it.  Hated it.  Dishonest drivel.  It made me angry. 

Besides pretending it wasn't Marc Martel singing:  pretending he was friends with the band (he wasn't) and would have told them he had AIDS (he didn't) which he didn't even have then, several songs used out of order, before they were recorded...on and on.  And don't get me started on the false narrative about Bohemian Rhapsody.

And yes he loved Mary and was bisexual.  He was complex but not in the movie.  The band were not his friends.  The story is mangled and IMO for a money grab.  Thus talk of a sequel.  

Sorry, guys, you're talented (Brian May, you're amazing) but you're not his equals.  He was Queen and it died when he did.

Changing the man's history and he's not here to correct the record.  

Thank goodness his music and video survives and what we know of the true story of his life.  He was amazing and didn't deserve this.

I saw a cheap doc on Reelz a year or so ago that was more accurate and informative.  Catch it if you can.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bohemian Rhapsody was entertaining especially if you enjoy Queen's music.  Rami Malek won the Oscar for his performance as Freddie Mercury.  That being said I thought Taron Egerton's performance as Elton John was 100 times better.  Malek did not do his own singing.  Egerton does.  

I have seen Elton perform in three times.  Once in the middle 70's when he was wearing his gorgeous costumes, Again with Billy Joel, and this past fall 2018.  He is a huge talent. When I saw Taron Egerton perform as Elton, Egerton nailed his performance.  Egerton does his own singing - absolutely amazing performance!

Honored Contributor

If any of you are die-hard Queen fans, I just saw this on the TJ Maxx site.

Jenny Queen Minaudiere Clutch - Christian Siriano

$29.99

tjx.jfif

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

If any of you are die-hard Queen fans, I just saw this on the TJ Maxx site.

Jenny Queen Minaudiere Clutch - Christian Siriano

$29.99

tjx.jfif

OMG I can't stop laughing.  Christian's purse is NOT referring to the band.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Honored Contributor

I saw it over the winter and loved it!  I found BR very entertaining and Marc Martel an amazing singer!  (I also checked out some of his youtube videos....wow!) 

Okay so some of it wasn't accurate but it really didn't bother me.  I found it more entertaining than Rocketman which seemed more depressing overall....or maybe it was my frame of mind.  I just enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody more.