Esteemed Contributor
  • Cause of death - Head Trauma. He hit the back of his head and didn’t give it much thought. 

11EF36AB-17BE-40C5-AF69-DB3D7C544E8A.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Liam Neeson's wife die of a similar injury a few years ago?  She had gone skiing and hit her head - thought nothing of it and died a couple of days later.  Such a horrible and needless way to die.  Lesson learned, if I ever hit my head I will immediately get it checked out and not ignore it.

Honored Contributor

just read about it......so sad.

i guess he just didnt think anything about it and did not go to get himself examined? just went to sleep and never woke up.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

This is so sad.

My Brother died at only 46 years old by head trauma Back in the 1990's. He had a small farm. He and his oldest son were getting bails of hay down in the barn. He had his son go up and throw the bails down to him. One hit my brother in the head. He fell, but then got up and just shook it off. Never told my sil who was an ER Nurse.

Honored Contributor

@lovesallanimals wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Liam Neeson's wife die of a similar injury a few years ago?  She had gone skiing and hit her head - thought nothing of it and died a couple of days later.  Such a horrible and needless way to die.  Lesson learned, if I ever hit my head I will immediately get it checked out and not ignore it.

@lovesallanimals  - Yes she did. I remember that.

I learned a long time ago if you get hit in the head get it checked out. I remember DD did when she was a toddler. I called, and the pediatrician gave me a list of things to do. One was to keep her awake for a period of time. That was hard because she was sleepy and cranky. I had to wake her if she drifted off. I just remember being glad when DH got home.

@BostonMommy - I'm so sorry you lost your brother, especially with your SIL an emergency nurse. It does make sense that most people would think it's going to be OK, especially when there are no visible signs of a problem.

Honored Contributor

So sad and scary.

And I always think of Natasha Richardson too. Her mother is Vanessa Redgrave, aunt, Lynn Redgrave, who sadly died of breast cancer.

I've had 3 concussions and each time I thought of her. The last time a dr told me they can look for signs to see if you are bleeding inside, so that was reassuring. Like you don't have to have a ct or mri or whatever each time.

But its those tragic times that you just don't know.

I think Natasha felt fine in the beginning and an hour or so later got a severe headache which was an epidural hematoma-bleeding in the brain. She was taken to the hospital and a few days later she was removed from life support.

A dr did say if she got immediate treatment she may have lived.

Why it is always good to get it checked out and not think oh its ok.

Such a seemingly small accident that can turn tragic. So never hesitate to get it checked out right away even if its just clunking your head on a cabinet or whatever.

What I don't understand is if she or Bob Saget had gone to the dr right away, how would they know they were in trouble if they didn't yet have any signs of that bleeding?

Or even if she went to get an mri-they take so long, she would still be in trouble. So I don't see how drs can tell unless you start to have severe symptoms and by then it may be too late. One source said its best to go to an urgent care who have more tools to treat and diagnose head injuries. And I guess that makes sense.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

When and how did he hit his head?

I remember when I was younger, I was on a stool in the garage.  The stool collapsed and I hit the cement floor.

Knocked me out for a minute or two.  I walked in the house and collapsed.

Well during the height of Covid.  I fell backward and propelled myself on the stairs.  I hit my head on a stair and hit my back bone on another stair.

They were telling everyone to not go to hospitals.

I laid in bed for 2 weeks in terrible pain.  Huge knot on my head.  My daughter flew in from Denver.  I went to my back Dr.  Long story short. 

In those 2 weeks my back started healing..the wrong way.  I had to have surgery where the Dr opened up the vertebra and put cement in it.

I think we've all hit our heads numerous times over the years.

It's all so crazy.  I just don't understand any of that?  Must have been one heck of a hit on his head?

Makes me paranoid.  How many times does a kid fall down and hit their head?

Hard to know what to do.  It's not supposed to get a lot of X-rays either.

Respected Contributor

@qvcfreak wrote:
  • Cause of death - Head Trauma. He hit the back of his head and didn’t give it much thought. 

Correct me please., He had given a stand up performance that night, How would he have hit his head.? Am I the only one thinking how was this done.? Did he tell his wife or anyone he had hit his head some way? This is a confusing story, in my opinion..  

Respected Contributor

This is a very cautionary tale.  I know we don't feel like running to the hospital every time we bump our head.  But if it is a significant hit, we need to.  I am and RN and didn't follow that advice.  I once worked as a visiting nurse.  I ended my patient visit, and went back to my car on her driveway (she lived in a townhome).  It was cold but sunny, and you get melting and re-freezing.  I put my right leg into the car, and as I did, my left leg just went out from under me.  I slid from the car and really hit my head and the driveway.  I even had that sensation of seeing stars.  I did tell my patient (I really didn't want to) so might notify her association to clean the driveways up.  I turned out to be fine, but I was wrong not to seek an exam.

A friend of my husband was mugged on the way home from work.  This included being hit in the head while her purse was stolen.  The police arrived and offered and advised her to be checked out in the ER.  She said she was okay and declined.

When she didn't come into her office for a couple days, her co-workers called police to check on her.  She was deceased in her bed.  She probably would be alive today had she been evaluated.

I hope Mr. Saget's passing helps people keep in mind that this CAN happen.  So sorry for his family.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@qvcfreak wrote:

Correct me please., He had given a stand up performance that night, How would he have hit his head.? Am I the only one thinking how was this done.? Did he tell his wife or anyone he had hit his head some way? This is a confusing story, in my opinion..  

@HLP 

Not really confusing at all.  He took a fall at some point, most likely that night.  May have tripped in his hotel room and hit his head on furniture.  It has happened to most all of us.  He may not have thought if significant enough to tell his wife.  He was able to get up and go about his business.

Brain bleeding can be fast or very slow.  He goes to bed, falls asleep, and his brain bled while he slept until he was in a coma and finally too much pressure on the brain stem stops breathing.  He had no alcohol or drugs.  It was a tragic accident.

Hyacinth