Honored Contributor

I am confused by this episode.  Elijah won the right to die case for the man with ALS, didn't he?  How could he win that case when Tennessee isn't a right to die state?  I truly don't understand.  Hoping someone can explain this to me.  Did I misunderstand that he won?  I thought this was a good episode.  All of them have been.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack  The way I interpreted it was that Elijah won an exception for the man to have the right to die on his own terms. 

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@NickNack  The way I interpreted it was that Elijah won an exception for the man to have the right to die on his own terms. 

@NicksmomESQ   You must be correct.  It seems like someone could now say this was the precedent and try to make it the law in TN.  I know this is only a show so not saying this would happen.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I really like this show.  I wish they would have given it more of a chance and not cancelled it already.

Honored Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

I really like this show.  I wish they would have given it more of a chance and not cancelled it already.

@meem120   I keep hoping they'll get a lot of e-mails about it.  I sent one through the website.  I'm afraid, though, that when people heard it was cancelled that they just quit watching and DVRing the show, confirming to them that they'd made the right decision.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Sydney  pursues a parallel case, suing the "Conference of Collegiate Athletes" (the script's stand-in for the NCAA) to force the organization to pay Marcus' medical bills on the assumption that he while he was playing football for the school he was, in fact, a full-time but uncompensated employee. Sydney's arguments echo much of what one hears from media figures and activists who are in support of paying college athletes. Although the episode condemns the exploitation of athletes, football itself isn't criticized; a climactic scene involves a playful backyard game of touch football, with Elijah claiming the right to call his team the "University of Memphis Tigers."

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/news/2019/10/28/bluff-city-law-episode-6-football-gay-rights-...

Ultimately, the conference refuses to settle and Sydney loses when the arbitration judge rules that the “student athlete” system must remain in place. As is.

“Tennessee has already recognized a patient’s right to refuse life-saving care. Why? Because the law acknowledged that a human being should not be forced to suffer in the last days of their life. And since we allow patients to refuse life-saving care, we must, in the same spirit allow terminal patients to choose death with dignity.”

Before the case ends, Elijah visits Father Charles again and tells him, “You gave me good advice, Father. The more time I spent with Marcus, the more I believe that this is the right thing. But it’s also the hardest part of my job. Knowing that what’s right, might not happen.”

“Mine too,” says Father Charles.

(via newsbusters.org)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein