Honored Contributor

Re: Blackkklansman Premiere on HBO Tonight

Haven't seen it yet, but plan to watch it this week!

Esteemed Contributor

Highly recommend, we saw it when it was in the theatre.   I took a liking to John David Washington after watching him in the Ballers series on HBO with the Rock, I am a huge fan of Denzel his father.  Spike Lee did an incredible job with this true story and I am glad that he won the Oscar because he did an incredible job with Malcolm X and so many other poignant films and documentaries.

I plan to watch it again as I usually do with good movies since I always see something I missed the first time around.

Honored Contributor

I liked, but didn't love the film.  I'm glad I finally got to see it but it's not one I would watch again.   I thought Washington was terrific, and very handsome (he has his mom's eyes I think and looks more like her than Denzel in my opinion but it was hard to tell with the beard).  Clearly he is very talented (I'd not seen him in anything before).  I know this is based on a true story  but found some behavior in it preposterous and assume exaggerated for the film/dramatic purposes (I know it's based on Stallworth's book which I think I'll read some time).  I'm thinking esp. of some of the David Duke conversations and of Stallworth allowing himself to get so personally involved in someone from the investigation he was doing, so I didn't find all that - nor some of the David Duke phone conversations credible.

I also really disliked the political comparison at the end of the film, which I won't say any more about because it was political in nature. I just thought it was inappropriate and its insertion "downgraded" my liking of the film.   

After I watched it, I thought  of Spike Lee's hissy fit after the Oscars for not having gotten the Oscar for Best Picture; he was a sore loser about that, although I don't think that influenced my opinion of the film. He is, in general, a good filmmaker.