Trusted Contributor

Bizarre movie on TCM yesterday - Something Wild

This is a 1961 black and white film set in New York City.  I got completely sucked into it.

It was bizarre!  About a young rape victim and her life afterward. Times were so different - she never told anyone or called the police, she destroyed the evidence, internalized it, and her behavior became odder and odder with time.  I don't want to disclose spoilers but it got weirder with each scene.

I loved the grainy, gritty scenes of New York City at the time.  Jean Stapleton has a small roll, it is the first role I've seen her in besides All in the Family.  It is based on the novel Mary Ann by Alex Karmel, I hope my library has it. 

Did anyone watch?

Regular Contributor

Re: Bizarre movie on TCM yesterday - Something Wild

I was flipping the channels yesterday and landed on this movie.  It got 3 stars so I thought it would be good.  Never heard of it before.  At times it was hard to watch.  It was bizarre that after being raped she goes to live with a stranger.

Respected Contributor

My husband was watching this, and I caught about 20 minutes.  It made me VERY UNCOMFORTABLE the way she went back to her "captor", so I left the room.  So cringy.  I looked it up later, and read the entire plot; just made it cringier.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

What was the name of the Movie ? No I did not watch . Interesting they made that type of movie in 1961.

Honored Contributor

@skatting44  Something Wild is the film's name.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

The Director and Producer along with cast were brave to produce this gritty psychological  drama. Most people  back in the day did not speak of rape although  women have been victims of this crime for centuries across all cultures .

Had to google the title twice as there was another movie - a comedy with the same title .

I don't remember watching this movie in the past , so it must have released at limited theatres .

Respected Contributor

I read the synopsis and decided it wasn't my idea of entertainment, so I avoided watching it. Your reactions confirm my decision. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

I saw this movie on TV once before -years ago - but I missed the beginning, so when it aired yesterday I didn't recognize it at first. I think the film does depict how women can be deeply affected by such an attack and how the trauma can continue to affect them. Idk, but I hope that unsettling movie and its depiction helped to bring the issues of atrocities & violence against women to the forefront at least somewhat back then. At the end of the movie, I found myself hoping that time would help heal her (along with outside help) and she'd make different decisions about her future.

Trusted Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

My husband was watching this, and I caught about 20 minutes.  It made me VERY UNCOMFORTABLE the way she went back to her "captor", so I left the room.  So cringy.  I looked it up later, and read the entire plot; just made it cringier.  

Yes, that part had me aghast.

Esteemed Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

I loved the grainy, gritty scenes of New York City at the time.  Jean Stapleton has a small roll, it is the first role I've seen her in besides All in the Family.  I

@PilatesLover  I'll bet you forgot Jean Stapleton in "You've Got Mail." Loved her in that movie.