Honored Contributor

Re: Biography: JFK Jr.-The Final Year

This week's People Magazine has an article by the friend who has the book coming out. I learned things about John that I didn't know before. He had Graves disease. He was in therapy for most of his life and truly valued it, became a good listener and confidant with his friends as a result. He was said by all to be a caring and sensitive person.

Learned sad things about his  marriage. He and his wife were living apart before their deaths and probably headed towards divorce. He wanted children, she didn't.

He was so gorgeous, I had a big crush on him.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

He also was barely speaking to his sister Caroline before his death. They did have a phone conversation before his death and agreed to keep in touch. John didn't like her husband and the fact that he made the decision to auction Jackie's jewelry, felt he didn't have the right to. Caroline made fun of Carolyn for being two hours late to her own wedding and wearing heels on the beach. Carolyn told John that his whole family mistreated him.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:

I have often thought about how different our country and his family's lives would have been had JFK not been assassinated.  Can't begin what kind of emotional toll it took on all of them.  What a horrible time in our Nation's history.

@brandiwine  Please explain how different our country would be? How can you make such a statement. History is history. There is no proof the world would be a better place if Certain things in history did not happen.  

Frequent Contributor

Yes JFK,Jr. did not like his brother in law.  The jewelry that was auctioned off was what Ari Onasis gave to Jackie during her courtship and marriage to him.  Caroline did not like Ari Onasis....however JFK, Jr. did.  Ari spent a lot of time with john when he was a child.

JFK, Jr. actually spoke Greek. Caroline's husband should of not had a say in the matter.  It should of been between John and his sister.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

He wasn't that experienced a pilot, and was told not to fly that evening, but he ignores everyone's advice, causes me to wonder.

@mousiegirl 

???    Who were the "everyones" who told him not to fly that night?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I can't say who he may or may not have talked to before his flight, but I watched a news show about the doomed flight. Some experienced pilots weighed in and said due to the thick haze it was deemed unsafe to fly that night. Also, Jfk, Jr. had a foot injury and was supposed to have a co-pilot help him but he decided to do it himself. 

Honored Contributor

Just a reminder this is on tomorrow night.

Honored Contributor

There has been so much tragedy in the Kennedy family.  John Jr.'s dead along with his wife and sisterinlaw was extremely sad.  I am sure his wife was not use to all the photographers when you stepped outside which could cause problems in the marriage.  I watched their intimate wedding over the weekend and felt so happy for them to be able to enjoy their ceremony and time with friends at their reception without all the photographers.  His father was a man for all the people and I really respected him although I was only 14 when he was running for president.  Long time ago.  But, my mother was involved in politics and we went to downtown Chicago to see him in a parade.  It was quite exciting at the time.  (Just had to throw that in).

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I watched the tapes of the secret wedding that JFK Jr planned for Carolyn.  I thought it was interesting.

His life is a part of our history.

Honored Contributor

I watched this last night, it was very well done. Steve Gillon wrote the book this documentary was based on. He must be well respected as he spoke to people that were close to both John and Carolyn. It was far superior than the JFK Jr. and Carolyn's Wedding: The Lost Tapes. Even though I watched the wedding, I felt like the couple's privacy was being exploited for a buck. I'm sure they wouldn't have been happy this was released by John's "friend". It was weird that John preceded his cousin Anthony Radziwill in death.