Honored Contributor

Biography: JFK Jr.-The Final Year

This new documentary airs July 16, 9:00 on A&E. It will be the 20th anniversary of JFK's death. The doc is based on the new book America's Reluctant Prince: The Life of John F. Kennedy Jr., by Steven M. Gillon. Seems he had a troubled marriage, magazine that was in trouble, and may have been considering a run for Governor of New York. I often wonder what he would be doing now if he, his wife, and sister-in-law hadn't died so tragically.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Biography: JFK Jr.-The Final Year

@Jordan2 

Thanks for the info.  I too think what could have been had he lived.

Respected Contributor

I have often thought about how different our country and his family's lives would have been had JFK not been assassinated.  Can't begin what kind of emotional toll it took on all of them.  What a horrible time in our Nation's history.

Esteemed Contributor

I guess that I am one of the few who does not understand all of the interest in JFK Jr.  He had a family who loved him, friends who did the same, he took a chance and started a magazine, and he was a pilot, but it has been 20 years since he died and I just don't get it.  Other than the name and money, he was no different than anyone, and he apparently wanted to be treated like everyone.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I am not sure where I read the article. But a few months ago I read an extensive article about the last few months of JFK Jr.'s life. 

It was so sad to read. How things weren't working out as well as planned. Too bad he had the accident. He never got a chance to turn things around.

Respected Contributor

Yes, and it definitely wasn't easy for him. He'd been hounded by the paparazzi his entire life, just like his mom Jackie. I don't  hear much about his sister Caroline.

Valued Contributor

He was one of the most handsome men I had ever seen.

I saw him in a bagel store on a Sunday morning in Tribeca in his sweats and a Tshirt, also obviously after a long Saturday night.

I looked like ****** myself, but couldn't stop staring at him. 

It was a tragedy that he died so young.

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I guess that I am one of the few who does not understand all of the interest in JFK Jr.  He had a family who loved him, friends who did the same, he took a chance and started a magazine, and he was a pilot, but it has been 20 years since he died and I just don't get it.  Other than the name and money, he was no different than anyone, and he apparently wanted to be treated like everyone.

@SXMGirl   Many of us remember when the iconic photo of JFK Jr. saluting his father's casket happened in real time.  It was a weekend when Americans were riveted to their TV sets.  That weekend was so tragic and that photo condensed the tragic weekend into one moment of sorry for all time.   Those of us who remember it  -- that entire weekend - (and people who don't also) have maintained an interested in JFK Jr.'s life, more so (in my opinion) than Caroline's probably because of that iconic photo.  I'm sorry if you don't understand or share that interest, but I certainly do.   

Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I see what you're saying. The same can be said for Princess Diana. I remember when she died and Mother Theresa died a few days after, but all the attention went to Diana because of her fame and glamour.

Honored Contributor

He wasn't that experienced a pilot, and was told not to fly that evening, but he ignores everyone's advice, causes me to wonder.