Esteemed Contributor

Re: Binge Watching House Hunters

[ Edited ]

I like House Hunters International much better than regular House Hunters. But on the regular one it's "that's nice" a very repetitive phrase.

Hmmm, in reading this thread again I realize I thought I had quickly edited my comments to add more but guess not! Or did and didn't hit post. In any case... the that's nice comment.

She says "that's a nice wall color" he says "oh yeh that's nice", she says "that's a nice countertop" he says "yeh that is nice, she says "those hardwood floors look nice' he says "yes I agree they are nice"...........and on and on the "nice" goes.

Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

I'm wondering why the catch phrase with almost every buyer is "Oh Wow?"  It is getting old.

@Jackhound Mom    That's probably because the same writers write the scripts for all the shows.  Buyers have always used the same expressions and dialog.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I loved reading all of your answers, thank you!  Is there really a script?  I thought the show crew just followed them around and spliced some of their comments together.

I've got the international ones saved and they are next Cat Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I've never thought there was a script for any of the shows.

And I'd like to know where the information about the home already being bought comes from?  Where do people get this information?  I'm really interested.

I know, from comments on the shows, that the couples have looked at a lot more than three houses and that the show narrows it down to three (or sometimes four).

I also wonder what's in it for the couples - do they get paid or get a discount on the homes?  They must get some benefit or why else do it?

Honored Contributor

I so agree with your astute comments, @Venezia ,  about the prospective buyers who repeatedly mock and belittle aspects of the house they don't like.  It is so unkind, and speaks more to their character (or lack thereof) than anything about the home owners.

It's quite possible to convey one's own preferences without so ostentatiously denigrating those of others.

And another vote for the "international" episodes. 

Respected Contributor

I always get amused at the young women that get all dolled up in short skirts, super high heels, full makeup & dark spray tan to go out looking at houses!

Esteemed Contributor

It always amazes me when the younger couples won't consider a house because they don't like the wall color or a light fixture!  The realtors have to remind them it's just a matter of repainting or removing the fixture.   Plus they have to have stainless steel appliances, granite counters and double sinks in the master bathroom.  

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

I've never thought there was a script for any of the shows.

And I'd like to know where the information about the home already being bought comes from?  Where do people get this information?  I'm really interested.

I know, from comments on the shows, that the couples have looked at a lot more than three houses and that the show narrows it down to three (or sometimes four).

I also wonder what's in it for the couples - do they get paid or get a discount on the homes?  They must get some benefit or why else do it?

@Venezia  I was on a message board some years ago for tv shows. House hunters was one. Some of the actual House Hunters came onto the board and told of their experiences. You could probably google and find the info. So that's where I got my info. Sometimes if you see the home from the outside you will see a For Sale sign. That will be the house they chose. Some of the house hunters said sometimes the realtor would use their home as one of the choices. 

Respected Contributor

Thanks for your great answers!  I'm wondering if there are any shows where the buyers looked but didn't buy?  Or if any have reported remorse?  We still have about 800 to view and then on to the other countries.  

Respected Contributor

I have 2 questions.  What is a "keeping room?"  7 states and 17 homes but never heard that until these shows.

Why "open concept?"  Isn't concept an idea?  I definately get open layout or floor plan.

Thank you!