Honored Contributor

Re: Binge Watching House Hunters

I have read that most of these type shows are kind of fake and that they already know which house they will buy. BUT I still like watching this and alot of other shows on HGTV Smiley Happy

Did you see the comedians on couches on the house hunters??

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ- Thanks for the information on the background of this show.  I've always figured that a lot of what was said was "for the camera"; it's a reality show, after all.  But it's fun to know some of the "goings on"!

Some of the couples (or one of the pair) are so over-the-top with the comments and dramatics, that I can't finish watching the episode.  Mostly though, I enjoy looking at the homes and sometimes mute the couple!

Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

Thanks for your great answers!  I'm wondering if there are any shows where the buyers looked but didn't buy?  Or if any have reported remorse?  We still have about 800 to view and then on to the other countries.  

@Jackhound Mom- I used to like the show "Property Virgins", which was for first-time buyers.  I can't remember the name of the real estate agent who hosted that, but she was really good.  It was interesting to watch her bring new buyers down to earth, from their high expectations, and give them a dose of reality.

Sometimes they didn't end up buying anything.

Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

I have 2 questions.  What is a "keeping room?"  7 states and 17 homes but never heard that until these shows.

Why "open concept?"  Isn't concept an idea?  I definately get open layout or floor plan.

Thank you!

@Jackhound Mom- I've never heard that term either, so I looked it up:

"A keeping room is actually a very basic concept. It is basically a secondary living room that connects to the kitchen area. It was a popular space in colonial times due to the fact that the heat from the kitchen kept the keeping room warm, making it one of the few heated areas in the house."  Mar 12, 2013

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ- Thanks for the information on the background of this show.  I've always figured that a lot of what was said was "for the camera"; it's a reality show, after all.  But it's fun to know some of the "goings on"!

Some of the couples (or one of the pair) are so over-the-top with the comments and dramatics, that I can't finish watching the episode.  Mostly though, I enjoy looking at the homes and sometimes mute the couple!

@Venezia  I know what you mean about over the top. I can hardly watch it anymore except for international. When I was on a message board when homeowners posted, it was in the Suzanne Whang days. I think now a days, they try to make episodes a bit more interesting. Thank Goodness.

Respected Contributor

@VeneziaThank you for the wonderful answer!!!  I should have looked it up myself.  You are too kind!

Respected Contributor

I watched the Comedians On Couches Watching House Hunters shows (Or whatever they were called) & thought some of their commentary was pretty funny & entertaining.