Honored Contributor

I just watched Kesha's performance on You Tube.  It was wonderful.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

It just hit me what "Purple Rain" needed -- a choir.  Because this was supposedly a tribute and it would have added that special something that was missing.

Honored Contributor

I didn't like Kesha's performance, it dragged and seemed to go on forever. What was with the closed eyes? 

Trusted Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

It just hit me what "Purple Rain" needed -- a choir.  Because this was supposedly a tribute and it would have added that special something that was missing.

Yeah, or they could have done at least one of his more uptempo, celebratory songs instead of choosing 2 that sounded like funeral dirges.  

Honored Contributor

I'm not a fan of Madonna's and, truly, her Prince performance left a lot to be desired. I said nice because it was simple rather than some tacky production thing with a medley of every song he ever wrote. Well that would have taken a couple of hours anyway.

So, now I've been persuaded to agree with the others, the tribute was not nice, it was bad bordering on disgraceful.

Esteemed Contributor

I am not a Madonna fan  I thought her tribute was more about her than Prince.  I would have rather watched a video montage of Prince than her taking great songs and making them boring and totally lacking energy.

Honored Contributor

I have it taped so I haven't seen it yet.  Did see clips on the news this morning.    

I was worried when they said Madonna was doing the Prince tribute earlier this month.  Sounds like my worries were justified.  As a child of the 80s, those two had nothing to do with one another.  She was a great marketer of her brand but he had the actual musicianship to back up his edge.    

And while she may have been a good friend, with all due respect, she doesn't have the chops to perform at his level especially with his type of music.  With all the adjectives I'd give Madonna, funk is still not one of them.  Bruno Mars would have been the obvious and honest choice to play that type of music for everyone.  

Having said that, she's still Madonna who showed up to honor her friend.  And I think BET's tweet or whatever they put out was completely uncalled for and certainly not what Prince's message to his fans was all about.  

Honored Contributor

I find myself agreeing with Questlove.  I think some performers are going to give it a shot, but let's face it, can't nobody perform a Prince song like Prince.  I'm sure there will be more tributes for the rest of the awards season and each tribute will try to show their respect for Prince's contribution to music. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise