Honored Contributor

Bill Macy, 'Maude' Actor, Dead at 97

Getty Images

Actor Bill Macy, who played Bea Arthur’s long-suffering husband, Walter Findlay, on Maude, died Thursday evening, producer and friend Matt Beckoff revealed. He was 97 years old.

“My buddy Bill Macy passed away at 7:13 p.m. tonight,” Beckoff posted to Facebook on Thursday. “He was a spitfire right up to the end. What an honor to book him for Gilbert Gottfried II Frank Santopadre and Dara Kravitz Gottfried podcast. It really was the cherry on top. He LOVED being on that show. My condolences to his beautiful wife Samantha Harper Macy.”

FD57CBCD-8EF0-4C4E-A2BE-7748B00E093B.png

Honored Contributor

Re: Bill Macy, 'Maude' Actor, Dead at 97

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Getty Images

Actor Bill Macy, who played Bea Arthur’s long-suffering husband, Walter Findlay, on Maude, died Thursday evening, producer and friend Matt Beckoff revealed. He was 97 years old.

“My buddy Bill Macy passed away at 7:13 p.m. tonight,” Beckoff posted to Facebook on Thursday. “He was a spitfire right up to the end. What an honor to book him for Gilbert Gottfried II Frank Santopadre and Dara Kravitz Gottfried podcast. It really was the cherry on top. He LOVED being on that show. My condolences to his beautiful wife Samantha Harper Macy.”

FD57CBCD-8EF0-4C4E-A2BE-7748B00E093B.png

I heard about this on Antenna TV this afternoon,  I believe there will be a marathon soon.  He was so good on Maude.  Their chemistry was really good.  I loved it when he use to say "Maude sit" when she was out of control lol.  I believe she said it to him as well.  Maude is on every afternoon on Antenna TV.

Honored Contributor

I've seen him and his beautiful wife, Sam, on Tattletales.  They were newlyweds.  He was 53 when they married, she was much younger.  97 is a nice long life!

Honored Contributor

Did not hear that.  He was so great in that role!  Maude was a terrific show!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

He was in at least one Seinfeld episode as one of the neighbors in Boca. Also, in the movie, The Holiday. 

Honored Contributor

Condolences to his wife. He was on many shows I see on the oldies channels.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry to hear.......always liked him.....always felt he was underrated.................Bea Arthurs personality was so huge

but he was the quiet gem in that show.....

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I've seen him and his beautiful wife, Sam, on Tattletales.  They were newlyweds.  He was 53 when they married, she was much younger.  97 is a nice long life!

I try and watch Tattletales, just to see who is on. Sometimes there are some pretty big stars. Sadly many are now gone.

Maude is also on for an hour everyday on FE TV.

Honored Contributor

@kelsey17 wrote:

Sorry to hear.......always liked him.....always felt he was underrated.................Bea Arthurs personality was so huge

but he was the quiet gem in that show.....

@kelsey17   yes! he was a quiet gem!

Honored Contributor

they are doing a MAUDE marathon today on antenna tv if you get that channel.

it will run until 10 pm et

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein