Honored Contributor

Re: Biggest Loser Winner Ali Vincent Says She Has Struggled Emotionally Since Gaining Back the Weigh

Losing weight....so many variables and physiologically some of us are predestined to be chunky.  This doesn't mean you will be, but the road to thinness will be even more difficult.  It is a mental challenge.  This is for the normal person for those who have taken on the challenge of The Biggest Loser....the commitment is unsustainable...herculean efforts that require a full time dedication.  Most of us have jobs and daily responsibilities that require attention other than exercise and diet which becomes a round the clock obsession for Biggest Loser contestants.  The industry fueled by weight loss goals is enormous and research continues to find the answers.  We have come closer to success for those of us willing to submit to sustainable and even enjoyable dietary regimes.  I'm convinced that there has to be a mental commitment and a paradigm shift as to how we eat.  When I view shopping carts in line, I see built in failure.  Being open to change and following through is not an easy path, and requires constant diligence.  There, as yet, is no magic bullet.  We wear the results of our efforts and acceptance of the limitations required to change.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Biggest Loser Winner Ali Vincent Says She Has Struggled Emotionally Since Gaining Back the Weigh

I also think the routines they put these people through are dangerous.  I am a fairly healthy person and I don't think I could do half the exercise they put these people through.  It's hard to watch.  I'm sure if they spent as much time on the psychological end of it, the contestants might keep the weight off.  I too think the show should be taken off the air. 

Respected Contributor

I think it's a horrible show.

Nobody can keep up with the exercise routines at home and the severe calorie restrictions. 

I'm surprised nobody has died during their time on the show. 

Honored Contributor

They don't fail because all the praise & publicity is gone;

they fail bacause it's the wrong diet.

We all know how to lose weight.  It's not rocket science.

All those crazy Paleo diets will drop the weight quickly, but it's not healthy nor sustainable.  Most of what these contestants eat is basically a high protein, low carb diet...and prove shows it's not sustainable.  You get sicker as you get thinner.

Eating the correct diet according to calorie density, you can eat more & get healthier as you slim down.  Many eating a low fat plant based diet will get quick results...surgery or Biggest Loser results, but the difference is it's sustainable & healthier than any other diet.

And yes, the exercising is atrocious. Many articles showing this 'experience' really, really messes up your metabolism.  

It's so sad to see the desperation in the eyes of these folks....especially when an easy, cheap, available answer is right there for the taking!!

Low fat plant based for the win.

Respected Contributor

This show doesn't teach people how to lose weight correctly and I believe sets them up for failure after they go off on their own. Losing weight is hard to begin with, keeping it off is even harder! If I had a person watching what I eat and making me exercise all the time, I'd lose weight too. But once that's gone, I'm sure I would gain back some of the weight too. 

I've read stories from some of the contestants that have been on the show. They said you eat less than 1,000 calories a day and exercise 4 hours a day or more! That starts on day 1 which is too much of a shock to the body for anyone! One contestant said at the end of the program he was eating 400 calories a day and having 8-9 hour workouts. 

Some reported hair loss, blood in their urine, thyroid problems,  and lasting injuries such as knee and back problems. Doesn't sound that healthy to me.

Losing 1-2 pounds a week is the normal, best and safest way to lose weight and your chance of keeping it off is much greater.

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Honored Contributor

Within the last year, there was an expose about this show and it included many of the contestants who lost a great deal of weight.  According to the program, few of them kept the weight off. 

Respected Contributor

If losing weight was simply eat less work out more than it would be easy....but as anyone with a weight problem knows...it's not that simpe or easy!