Honored Contributor

Re: Biggest Loser Bob Harper has heart attack

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@mac116 wrote:

It is rough when you have a strong family history of heart issues.  And worse when people BLAME you for it!

ITA!  It is like when people get lung cancer....first thing you are asked is Did You Smoke?  It is automatically assumed that you did it to yourself.  So wrong!

@SeaMaiden - I had an administrator who developed lung cancer.  I did ask her if she ever smoked and she said she didn't.  A few weeks later she was clearing out her house and asked if I would like some of her clothes.  They smelled of cigarette smoke - strong cigarette smoke.  Not sure if she just didn't want to admit to smoking or what - it was very strange.  I do think people aren't honest about smoking because of the backlash. 

She may have lived with a smoker. My good friend developed lung cancer and her spouse smoked...second hand smoke made her sick. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@mac116 wrote:

It is rough when you have a strong family history of heart issues.  And worse when people BLAME you for it!

ITA!  It is like when people get lung cancer....first thing you are asked is Did You Smoke?  It is automatically assumed that you did it to yourself.  So wrong!

@SeaMaiden  So true!  I don't have cancer but I have a diffuse lung disease called lymphangioleiomyomatosis or LAM (for short).  Simply put, I have benign cysts growing on both lungs overtaking my normal functions and I am on supplemental oxygen.  First question everyone wants to know is if I ever smoked.  The answer is no but it is assumed that I must have done this to myself.Cat Sad

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Honored Contributor

@Pandalady wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@mac116 wrote:

@SeaMaiden  So true!  I don't have cancer but I have a diffuse lung disease called lymphangioleiomyomatosis or LAM (for short).  Simply put, I have benign cysts growing on both lungs overtaking my normal functions and I am on supplemental oxygen.  First question everyone wants to know is if I ever smoked.  The answer is no but it is assumed that I must have done this to myself.Cat Sad

But if one had an underlying genetic condition, why exasperate it by adding to the cause?  If Bob Harper's story is true & he truly had a RARE genetic heart condition, why would he eat to encourage heart disease?  He's known to eat a low carb, meat heavy, fat heavy diet.  Why would you want to do that?  That's the best definition of 'doing it to yourself'.  

Like I said upthread, diet plays a HUGE part of heart health...and a low fat plant based diet has scientific proof it reduces heart disease.  Once that was discovered, wouldn't the first people in line be the 'genetic' heart people?   Wouldn't you want everything in your power not to have a 2nd heart episode?  But they continue to eat the wrong foods.  

We in the plant-based world are dumbfounded why people resist this way of eating.  Heart disease is very preventable.  It's proven time & time again w/ the correct diet.