Frequent Contributor

Big Problem with Discount Magazines

I have never had a problem ordering magazines with Brads Deals.com Discount Magazines or Discount Magazines directly until my last subscription placed on 12/15/2017. I ordered People, Star and US Magazines for $64.95 for a year.  My fault  i did not see the auto renewal lock.  They renewed two magazines 09/23/2018 for 49.94. I'm trying to get this cancelled.  My Credit Card investigated and said this charge is valid.  I called the credit card again and they said they would remove the charge.  I did not see any emails from Discount Magazines with an option to cancel.  I just emailed and called Discount Magazines to not renew anymore magazines.  Does anyone know how many years with this renewal lock?  Thank you for any info.  Lession learned better to pay by check not credit card.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Big Problem with Discount Magazines

@BN MI: Can’t you call your CC company to tell them what happened and they should be able to stop future payments

Honored Contributor

It's been a long time since I've used discountmags but I believe you have an online account and you go in and change the setting.  It automatically defaults to auto renew unless you change.

This is univeral with just about any company you deal with, so it's good to always go in and undo the auto renew.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For DiscountMagazines.com Go to the bottom of the page and choose "order history" and you will see the area to log in.

If you don't have your login or password, just use the forgot features to get in and you can see all your auto renews.

For Discountmags.com the login is on the front top of the page

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Frequent Contributor

Thank you.  I went in and was able to cancel the Star Magazine discountlock setting.  The Star Magazine is dropped on the end of the driveway every Satuarday moring not USPS.  I will never order the Star magazine again.  I think i'm stuck with People and Us for another year.  I will for sure sign into my account and look for those auto renewal lock cancel buttons.   Thank you again.

Frequent Contributor

SORRY type O's

Honored Contributor

I've not used discount magazines, but have used discountmags for quite a few years.    For the most part, they don't sneak in that auto-renl deal but you really have to watch.    That's become a bigger and bigger thing recently.

I have also seen deals on Amazon for magazine subscriptions that include auto-renewal, so watch out for that, too.   

I've learned to really pay hard attention when I push most things through.  I've seen it with updating software, where they put in a thing that installs something else on your computer and you have to be sure to uncheck that choice.

I hope you're able to get it straightened out.  I know on some you can uncheck the auto-renewal so it doesn't do it again.

Honored Contributor

@BN MI wrote:

I have never had a problem ordering magazines with Brads Deals.com Discount Magazines or Discount Magazines directly until my last subscription placed on 12/15/2017. I ordered People, Star and US Magazines for $64.95 for a year.  My fault  i did not see the auto renewal lock.  They renewed two magazines 09/23/2018 for 49.94. I'm trying to get this cancelled.  My Credit Card investigated and said this charge is valid.  I called the credit card again and they said they would remove the charge.  I did not see any emails from Discount Magazines with an option to cancel.  I just emailed and called Discount Magazines to not renew anymore magazines.  Does anyone know how many years with this renewal lock?  Thank you for any info.  Lession learned better to pay by check not credit card.

@BN MI, I have in the past called a magazine company stating I no longer want the magazine and had them refund my money for the future issues I hadn't received.

Honored Contributor

i get a lot of magazines.

i NEVER use a credit card to pay for them.

i will only use a check and it has to be a great deal.

if i want to cancel, i just stop paying. they send you those "your subscription is about to expire" notices about 4-5 months prior to the magazine subscription ending.

if i want to continue the magazine i send them another check or check "bill me."

if i dont want to continue the magazine i just dont pay it......and it either stops OR they send me a further discounted price that i can accept or just ignore.

it really has become almost a game. magazine prices are so low right now.....some of them as low as about $6 a year.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@BN MI wrote:

@BN MI, I have in the past called a magazine company stating I no longer want the magazine and had them refund my money for the future issues I hadn't received.

The only thing that might get in the way of that is that when you order from sites other than directly through the magazine website you have to go through the site where you purchased the subscription.

I ran into this when I set out to discontinue Vanity Fair because of the horrid perfume cards.   They were making me sick so, even though I was well into the subscription by then and I wouldn't get anything back, I just needed to cancel my subscription.    I got it thorugh discountmags so the VF folks directed me back to them.