Honored Contributor

Big OOPS! On Leave It To Beaver

I'm not ashamed to say I record a lot of these reruns! Watch one this a.m. and saw something that bugs me everytime. The family is looking over an itinerary of a trip Beaver will be taking with his class.

June mentions Peachtree Street and says "Oh that's where Scarlett O'Hara was born"!!! It's obvious neither she nor the writers knew much about the book!

Scarlett was born at Tara, the family planation but lived on that street durig the civil war. That is so glaring I'm amazed no one fixed it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Big OOPS! On Leave It To Beaver

[ Edited ]

Beaver replies:  "No, Mom.  That's where she lived during the Civil War!"

June:  [glares at Beaver]

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr Um no but that would have been funny! I doubt Beaver even knew who Scarlett was!

Respected Contributor

I read that on the MeTV website too and as they stated...it's small & forgivable, no Goggle to fact check. I don't watch the show but enjoy the MeTV website trivia.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I'm not ashamed to say I record a lot of these reruns! Watch one this a.m. and saw something that bugs me everytime. The family is looking over an itinerary of a trip Beaver will be taking with his class.

June mentions Peachtree Street and says "Oh that's where Scarlett O'Hara was born"!!! It's obvious neither she nor the writers knew much about the book!

Scarlett was born at Tara, the family planation but lived on that street durig the civil war. That is so glaring I'm amazed no one fixed it.

Now there's something I'll lose sleep over. 🙄

Esteemed Contributor

I actually read Gone with the Wind, years ago.  The movie ignored a lot of Scarlett's life that was in the book.  To include all that would have made the movie even longer and more complicated.  But as I was reading it, I remember thinking, "Wait, what ?????" LOL.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I actually read Gone with the Wind, years ago.  The movie ignored a lot of Scarlett's life that was in the book.  To include all that would have made the movie even longer and more complicated.  But as I was reading it, I remember thinking, "Wait, what ?????" LOL.

Interesting you should mention that.   I was in another country, decades ago, in a situation where I could only get a limited amount of things to read that were in English.   This was one of them.

I actually read the book well before seeing the movie and, while at this point I remember very little due to memory challenges I'm having, I remember when I saw the movie that it , in my view, was nowhere as good as the book.  I was surprised at how much the movie was lauded and wondered if anybody else had read the book first.

Of all the movies I've seen that were based on books, I think that 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' is the only movie I've seen that was as good as the book.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee Alrighty then.

Trusted Contributor

I got the entire series on DVD as a Christmas present to my husband one year, he loves that show.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

In a sense, the writers (and June) may have been correct, in a clever way.  Margaret Mitchell was living on Peachtree Street when she wrote the novel, so one may accurately say that Scarlett was indeed "born" there:

If you’ve ever wondered where the story of “Gone with the Wind” was birthed, stumbling across the Margaret Mitchell House and Museum in Atlanta will answer that question. The house is located in Midtown in the then-fashionable residential section of Peachtree Street. At the time, the house was known as the Crescent Apartments. From 1925–1932, Mitchell and her husband lived in Apartment 1 on the ground floor, which is where the author wrote the majority of her Pulitzer Prize-winning novel.