Honored Contributor

I kept nodding off the last 20 minutes so I have to watch that again this morning, but overall, I really didn't care for it.  I'm going to watch the last 20 minutes again, watch again next week and if I don't enjoy it more, that's it.

For those who watched, what did you think?

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Big Little Lies- opinions?

[ Edited ]

Despite great acting, I was a little disappointed, too. I will probably watch at least the next episode to see if it gets better.

Respected Contributor

I was surprised that I liked it.  I thought Reese's acting was really good.  I work as a teacher and all of this looks so familiar to me.  Unfortunately,  I just don't care for Nicole Kidman in it.  She just looks so spacey and disconnected in her role.   

Honored Contributor

I only watched the first 40 minutes-was too tired to watch the rest.........I liked it, but I am not sure I will continue, I like the cast, just not sure but I probably will. I did not read the book first, so may not read it now......  

Honored Contributor

I liked it, like the actresses and the story held my interest. Will watch it again. Never read the book.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Trusted Contributor

I agree with those that say they were a little disappointed with it.

It wasn't so much the plotline itself, or the acting that gave me a problem.  I started to realize about half way in, that I was having trouble following the cutting from scene to scene...it just seemed so abrupt and choppy.  I guess that's done to make it more arty or edgy or suspenseful, but for me, it just gives me a headache.  I'm having trouble with my eyes, so all that bopping back and forth is annoying. 

Sooo, I guess it's just the editing that's a problem for me, and getting too old to appreciate modern day pacing, I suppose.

If you didn't notice this editing style first time around, maybe next time someone can see if they notice what I'm talking about.

Valued Contributor

There was something about it that just seemed flat to me... I really wanted to like it, especially since it was filmed near me in Monterey. I did enjoy the scenery.

I've read all of Liane Moriarty's books, but my memory of this one is really vague, as is usually the case for me once I finish a book.

Just checked on goodreads ~ looks like I gave this one 5 stars. Oh my. That's Austen territory for me, I don't give out many 5 star ratings.

I'll stick with it ~ but I did catch my attention wandering a bit as it went along.

hey, if I can watch all of "Divorce", I'm sure I can make it through. That show was wretched and I tortured myself by watching every single episode.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm hooked. I will be interested to see why all the venom towards Reese's character, so far she's the only one I like!  Nicole looks terrible, IMHO. I'm also thinking the younger woman Jane, is on the run from an abusive ex and she and Nicole will eventually bond over that. 

ETA ... I LOVED Reese's maroon flowered dress and shrug sweater at the parent orientation!  I couldn't take my eyes off her outfit!

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

First impression: Creepy and annoying.  The actors will need to be careful: These characters border on caricature.  If I continue watching, it will be to see if the characters "fill out" a little more.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

First impression: Creepy and annoying.  The actors will need to be careful: These characters border on caricature.  If I continue watching, it will be to see if the characters "fill out" a little more.

Well stated.  The tropes just seem overstated and almost made it a parody. But, that said, I'm in!  I haven't read the book yet.