Esteemed Contributor

@lovescatswrote:

https://phys.org/news/2017-06-farms-bird-slayers-theyre-behere.html

It concluded, "Wind farms and nuclear power stations are responsible each for between 0.3 and 0.4 fatalities per gigawatt-hour (GWh) of electricity while fossil-fuelled power stations are responsible for about 5.2 fatalities per GWh."

That's nearly 15 times more. From this, the author estimated that wind farms killed approximately seven thousand birds in the United States in 2006 but nuclear plants killed about 327,000 and fossil-fuelled power plants 14.5 million.

In other words, for every one bird killed by a wind turbine, nuclear and fossil fuel powered plants killed 2,118 birds.

Thank you for saving me the trouble. I love the wild estimates that some throw out there to justify a faulty argument. Now on to the claim of Gates causing over population.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrainwrote:

Clean energy,  wind turbines, kill millions of migrating birds, his global health initiative is increasing population when there is already over population resulting in the loss of rain forests, destroying habitats and more. 

So saving lives is a villainous thing and causes overpopulation....oh and it affects the rain forrests, etc. Wow, who knew Bill Gates was such a misanthrope. You're really reaching for this to make him look like public enemy number 1. Where are you getting your infomation that verifies your claims?

Respected Contributor

@RainCityWomanwrote:

@lovescatswrote:

It concluded, "Wind farms and nuclear power stations are responsible each for between 0.3 and 0.4 fatalities per gigawatt-hour (GWh) of electricity while fossil-fuelled power stations are responsible for about 5.2 fatalities per GWh."

That's nearly 15 times more. From this, the author estimated that wind farms killed approximately seven thousand birds in the United States in 2006 but nuclear plants killed about 327,000 and fossil-fuelled power plants 14.5 million.

In other words, for every one bird killed by a wind turbine, nuclear and fossil fuel powered plants killed 2,118 birds.

Thank you for saving me the trouble. I love the wild estimates that some throw out there to justify a faulty argument. Now on to the claim of Gates causing over population.

my problem is how can people watch Big Bang and not understand why they wouldn't want to meet Bill Gates

Honored Contributor

@lovescatswrote:

That's like saying Chevys cause more traffic accidents than Mercedes. There are many more nuclear and fossil power plants than wind farms at this time just as there are many more Chevys on the road than Mercedes.

Honored Contributor

This show has run its course for me.  In fact, that happened last year.  I used to make it a point to see the show every week.  Now if I see it I see it and if I don't, no big deal.  I'll only watch it if there is absolutely nothing else on that interests me. 

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@lovescatswrote:

That's like saying Chevys cause more traffic accidents than Mercedes. There are many more nuclear and fossil power plants than wind farms at this time just as there are many more Chevys on the road than Mercedes.

The Ten Car Brands With The Worst Drivers

https://jalopnik.com/the-ten-car-brands-with-the-worst-drivers-462822107

2.) Mercedes G-Wagen
Either it's four-foot-nine ladies who can barely see over the steering wheel mashing the gas in a G55, or it's some bro who weaves through the lanes and blinds other drivers with his chrome 22s.

Respected Contributor

I’ve loved the show for many years, but I’m a scientist and love the humor.  I watch the reruns daily since there are so few comedies anymore, and needed now more than ever!  But I agree, the show it’s working anymore and needs to end - 

Respected Contributor

I love the show, but after 11 years it has run its course. I don't make it a point to watch the new shows that air on Thursday, but from time to time I'll still watch the reruns.

I miss Mrs. Wolowitz.....never seen, but she was a broad! A shame the actress who voiced her died. Out of the main characters, I never warmed up to Raj. And I never liked the Stuart character. He was OK in small doses when they featured him in the bookstore, but when they started to incorporate him into more and more episodes, he became dead weight.

Some of the best episodes were when Sheldon's mother and Leonard's mother visit. One of the funniest episodes was when Leonard's mother (Christine Baranski) and Penny go drinking and she ends up kissing Sheldon, LOL!!!

But yeah, it's time to pull the plug. I think I read somewhere that they are planning on season 12 to be the last one.

Esteemed Contributor

@lmt wrote:

I love the show, but after 11 years it has run its course. I don't make it a point to watch the new shows that air on Thursday, but from time to time I'll still watch the reruns.

I miss Mrs. Wolowitz.....never seen, but she was a broad! A shame the actress who voiced her died. Out of the main characters, I never warmed up to Raj. And I never liked the Stuart character. He was OK in small doses when they featured him in the bookstore, but when they started to incorporate him into more and more episodes, he became dead weight.

Some of the best episodes were when Sheldon's mother and Leonard's mother visit. One of the funniest episodes was when Leonard's mother (Christine Baranski) and Penny go drinking and she ends up kissing Sheldon, LOL!!!

But yeah, it's time to pull the plug. I think I read somewhere that they are planning on season 12 to be the last one.

See, I'm still enjoying it, and I wouldn't be if they had just kept on with the same old same old each episode. I love the Raj character because he's actually more evolved even as a foreigner and a scientist than the others who grew up here. Plus, he's in touch with his feminine and masculine sides. I didn't like Stewart at first, but even he grew on me. That happened when he started taking care of Howard's mother. Quite frankly, the character who gets on my nerves is Leonard. He allows himself to be Sheldon's doormat and at times Penney's, but yet he whines about his childhood. They seem to be extensions of his mother's treatment of him. And then there's Sheldon who is a pivotal character for the whole series but makes you want to slap his silly with his self centered, insulting behavior. But even Sheldon has been allowed to grow, even if it is in miniscule increments. I love this show so much that I names my new kitties four years ago, Sheldon and Lennie. 

Honored Contributor

I'm just waiting for the Sheldon/Amy wedding.

I can't understand a blessed word Bernadette says; and the rest of the characters are dead weight at this point.

I didn't see the Gates episode; I don't watch BBT much anymore.  It was fun in the first few years especially with Howard's mother but has steadily become predictable and a *yawn*.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh