Esteemed Contributor

Re: Betty White's Beloved Brentwood Home of More Than 50 Years Listed for $10.5 Million

That's sad that they are going to tear it down.

i think it looks very charming. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Betty White's Beloved Brentwood Home of More Than 50 Years Listed for $10.5 Million

@sunshine45 wrote:

for a hollywood star and legend, it looks like she lived pretty modestly rather than extravagantly!

@sunshine45 

Well, this was the home she shared with the love of her life, so I can see why she stayed there.  Lots of loving memories.

As far as extravagance, the California real estate market distorts some of these facts.   Not that long ago, I saw a real "piece of kwap" home neither of us would ever live in, going for the "very reasonable" price of $1.2 million.   It wasn't the home that elevated the price ... it was the location.  They probably assumed the home buyer would tear it down for the land.

Honored Contributor

@781Florist wrote:

If you ever watch Million Dollar Listing LA you will see what passes for desirable homes in Los Angeles these days.  Cement or stucco and glass boxes with horizontal slabs of marble here and there and completely devoid of warmth, charm or personality.

I saw an episode a couple of years ago where the beautiful home of director Darryl Zanuck (sp?) was being sold and that regal brick home was going to be torn down for 

another soulless box with an infinity pool.

I think it is worth the cold and snow to live in the East and the Midwest where the housing stock is architecturally varied and beautiful and appreciated.

@781Florist 

You make a good point, but not all homes in LA  are like what that TV show offers.  

LA has a different climate, different housing preferences, and an entirely different economy, so I don't think you can compare their homes to other parts of the country.  California's state economy is the fifth largest in the world.   Huge differences.

Esteemed Contributor

@781Florist wrote:

If you ever watch Million Dollar Listing LA you will see what passes for desirable homes in Los Angeles these days.  Cement or stucco and glass boxes with horizontal slabs of marble here and there and completely devoid of warmth, charm or personality.

I saw an episode a couple of years ago where the beautiful home of director Darryl Zanuck (sp?) was being sold and that regal brick home was going to be torn down for 

another soulless box with an infinity pool.

I think it is worth the cold and snow to live in the East and the Midwest where the housing stock is architecturally varied and beautiful and appreciated.

OMG...Carmel, California is architecturally varied, beautiful and appreciated without any buildings.. Grew up and live in   Chicago and the cold, snow, architect, restaurant's have nothing on that area.  Betty White had a home in New York.  The buyers got a steal and Betty probably wou be happy with whatever is done.

Valued Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

If you drive around parts of LA that are from the days of old Hollywood (Brentwood, Bel Air, Hancock Park) you will see examples of homes that while being larger and having more touches of luxury than middle and eastern American homes, still reflect the charm and individuality of the Georgian, Tudor, Colonial and other styles that make for neighborhoods of beauty and character.

The climate then was not different than today and the size of the California economy has no bearing at all on style and design.  The people in Bakersfield, Stockton, Sacramento,

Humbolt and San Bernardino also live in the state with the fifth largest economy in the world and those towns don't have a lot of glass boxes.  San Francisco and the Russian River and Sausalito and Marin County are pretty darn well heeled and those areas are not architectural deserts either.

I get that if you are in New Mexico and the California desert you are pretty much constrained to stucco and tile, but Los Angeles doesn't have any shackles (economic or climate related) that prevent it from having a little style, culture or class.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Wish I could afford it as I would be very happy with THAT HOUSE as it is❤️

I do too! I'd never tear it down. I bet it's cool and retro inside. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Betty White lived her last few years in LA home - despite wanting to stay  in Carmel home | Daily Mail Online

@SeaMaiden   This is not the full view of the house.  Here it looks small and modest; it is only one side view.

There are multiple structures to her home.

What's going on with Betty White's house being sold as land value? :  r/OutOfTheLoop

Betty White's Brentwood home lists for $10.575 million - Los Angeles Times

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

for a hollywood star and legend, it looks like she lived pretty modestly rather than extravagantly!

@sunshine45 

Well, this was the home she shared with the love of her life, so I can see why she stayed there.  Lots of loving memories.

As far as extravagance, the California real estate market distorts some of these facts.   Not that long ago, I saw a real "piece of kwap" home neither of us would ever live in, going for the "very reasonable" price of $1.2 million.   It wasn't the home that elevated the price ... it was the location.  They probably assumed the home buyer would tear it down for the land.

@Tinkrbl44   I am pretty sure it is the house in Carmel that Betty and Allen built.  She didn't want to leave it but eventually moved to the one in Brentwood.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I would venture to say there is a lot of warmth and appeal in the house.  Betty White was a class act, dignified, generous, caring and an animal advocate.  I'm sure she helped many causes and organizations dedicated to animals and their welfare.

In the city I was born and raised at, the norm is to demolish middle class neighborhood homes and put up ugly unsightly three story condos which are ridiculously priced.  Nothing is saved because it is all about greed.  I have never been a fan of developers or planning boards, too much corruption.  I have seen it time and time again.  

I am sorry Betty's home has to be knocked down but not surprised.  At least we know she spent many happy years in it .

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Someone wondered why Betty White's stepchildren hadn't been mentioned in reports as caregivers or beneficiaries of her estate. They were neither, so that doesn't surprise me. (She did have live-in caregivers, though.) What I do remember reading over the years, were reports that she and her stepchildren we're not on good terms.

Betty White had no other family. I think it's sad that her agent ended up with her ashes, which won't be interred out-of-state,  alongside her husband's remains.

What worries you masters you.