Honored Contributor

Bette Davis, "Dead Ringer" Thursday 8:15 a.m. Eastern TCM, and Mini-Fest

8:15 a.m. Eastern TCM  "Dead Ringer"---   Middle-aged Bette turns to the taboo-- murder of her prosperous twin so that she can (almost) seamlessly take her place.

Campy, but Bette turns in her usual interesting performance, as both women.

Thursday is a mini-fest of Bette Davis:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2018-04-05

Please note that "Dead Ringer" is followed by "The Star", followed by "A Stolen Life", Bette's other famous tour de force as twins, one good, and one, nefarious.

A great triple feature, and later in the day, you'll see the scedule listing a documentary profile of Bette Davis.

Respected Contributor

Re: Bette Davis, "Dead Ringer" Thursday 8:15 a.m. Eastern TCM, and Mini-Fest

She is terrific, especially in evil roles. She really had no vanity when acting. It is thrilling to watch Davis flex her acting muscles. What a dame.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the heads up!   Love Bette!  Dead Ringer was always one of my faves.  It's kind of sad.

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell

Thanks once again for the heads-up. A nice lineup.  “Dead Ringer & “A Stolen Life” are favourites.  

I noticed that before Dead Ringer at 0630 EDT is “The Nanny” too. It’s been ages since I’ve seen that one so,  I don’t remember it much, which is nice sometimes.

Bette Davis also in several movies tonight as part of Michael Curtiz night.

(Already set for “Mandalay” with Kay Francis 0415 EDT and “Female” with Ruth Chatterton -also Curtiz. I love those 30’s movies. Costumes and jewelry and sets, oh my!) 

Being west coast, the recorder will be busy overnight.  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@trenet, I really like "Female" too, with Ruth Chatterton as the ultimate driven Thirties' "career gal", ha.  George Brent is good in this too, and you are right, wonderful sets and costumes-- a visual delight....

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the heads up! I will tune in all day! Love Bette!

Honored Contributor

Dead Ringer is an updated version of A Stolen Life.  DR is grittier.  I think it's better than the original.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Great observation, as usual, @Mz iMac.   But I think Bette had a better choice of men in "A Stolen LIfe", maybe?   Of course her true love, the young, perhaps too gullible (but cute) Glenn Ford.  And then Dane Clark, the crazy artist that she had a sort of combative relationship with--  I got a kick out of him.   One of the select group of men strong enough to go toe to toe with Bette!

Honored Contributor

Taking advantage of the fact I have to be home today, and watching Bette fall in love with Glenn Ford in "A Stolen Life"...

Once more, as in "Winter Meeting", her outfits are so adorable.  She's a New England lass in this one.  She's wearing cute beanies, and puff-sleeved sweaters, and clean-lined wide-legged pants with tailored blazers--  so cute!

Honored Contributor

Anyone notice the always drunk Ronald Reagan in Dark Victory? Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif