Respected Contributor

Bette Davis in Elizabeth and Essex

The movie The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex was on TCM this morning. I like the way Bette Davis portrayed Queen Elizabeth in it and put off my errands until the movie was over.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bette Davis in Elizabeth and Essex

Agreed, yet another great role for Bette, @Desert Lily!

Esteemed Contributor

Posts like this me sorry I decided to go with only antenna/over air broadcasts.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Desert Lily ,  young Davis actually agreed to have her hairline shaved back repeatedly until filming was completed.

Which of our diva-stars would agree to that these days for the sake of performance authenticity?

Esteemed Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Posts like this me sorry I decided to go with only antenna/over air broadcasts.  

I'm antenna-over the air only too.

These movies follow a circut and they circulate to non-cable and non-satellite broadcasts too. I see them too, just not at the same time.

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@Desert Lily ,  young Davis actually agreed to have her hairline shaved back repeatedly until filming was completed.

Which of our diva-stars would agree to that these days for the sake of performance authenticity?

I guess you don't read about current actors.... Anne Hathaway shaved her head for Les Miserables, Matthew McConaughey lost tremendous weight for Dallas Buyers Club, the list goes on...too many to list.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

also shaved her eyebrows , never grew back in.

Esteemed Contributor

@ellaphant , you're right, I don't.

I also stopped going to movie theatres or paying any attention to Oscars and the like.

Honored Contributor

That's very interesting, @x Hedge -- I didn't realize Bette did that for the film.

You're so right about her dedication and lack of vanity.  In "Mr. Skeffington",   isn't she a noted local (and very vain) beauty who contracts diptheria, or some other disease, that leaves her quite disfigured?  She spends a large part of the film that way-- quite extraordinary for any leading actress at the top of her game, in any era...

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell 

Oh, love "Mr Skeffington". Wonderful movie!

In the film she was attended to by her fauning beaus. When the character suffered extensive hair loss due to illness she had a severely curled wig made. There's a scene where a curl or two awkwardly fall from her "hair" while one of her gentlemen callers is present to witness it.

🎭

Bette Davis made a famous statement about the difference between herself and Joan Crawford to...who? A reporter doing an interview?

I'm working from memory here and too tired to Google.

But she identified herself as an actress, and Joan as a movie star.

Maybe she said only a movie star.