Honored Contributor

Re: Bette Davis, James Davis, "Winter Meeting" TCM Wednesday 12:30 p.m. Eastern

Yes, @golding76,  the artistic director (or whatever they call the overall person who oversees the "look" of the film-- sets, costumes, EVERYTHING) had an absolutely killer eye!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I saw her going into her "basement apartment" that first time, I thought, 'wow, a dame who looks like that has a basement apt. like Laverne and Shirley?' But wait, after she went in, she went up a beautiful staircase, but not before grabbing her mail off an elegant 'foyer' table. I was astounded. Was it a brownstone I don't think I noticed? And that apt.! Could the ceilings be much higher? Gorgeous place. My cuppa. I have only just met the old couple staying in her country house (for five years!!!!) How could she let it go without going back for that length of time? Anyway, asap I will get to peruse the place. Can't wait.

P.S. I loved her "prissy" look, too. I think I'm a prude.

Honored Contributor

Image result for bette davis in movie winter meeting - photos

"Miss Priss"

Honored Contributor

"The killer 'revenge outifit.' "

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love this blouse!  Collar has such style.  I'm very fond of billowing, luxurious sleeves like these, too. 

Honored Contributor

The gorgeous lace dress she wore the night they met.

Honored Contributor

@judaline, this is so funny-- it's like a bunch of us watching had all the same reactions.  I went through the same thought process re: basement apartment, then the wow digs upstairs!

@golding76, you have outdone yourself.  Thanks for these sumptuous photos.  SWOON!

Honored Contributor

Yes, those photos are gorgeous!  Time frozen in pictures.  And I loved most of the ladies' apparel back then....so feminine.  Oh, and those flirtatious Bette Davis eyes!  (I loved Joan Crawford's eyes, too).

Ms. Bette and her cigarettes, lol.  Notice the elegant way she holds it.  Such a glamour time.  And I don't think she ever stopped cause I remember seeing her on ****** Cavett and Johnny Carson Show smoking as she talked back in the day.

When I watch these movies and they are kissing and smoking, I have to wonder if the smoker's breath was offensive.  Especially if one was a non-smoker.  Yeah, I think strange stuff.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxiewrote:

Yes, those photos are gorgeous!  Time frozen in pictures.  And I loved most of the ladies' apparel back then....so feminine.  Oh, and those flirtatious Bette Davis eyes!  (I loved Joan Crawford's eyes, too).

Ms. Bette and her cigarettes, lol.  Notice the elegant way she holds it.  Such a glamour time.  And I don't think she ever stopped cause I remember seeing her on ****** Cavett and Johnny Carson Show smoking as she talked back in the day.

When I watch these movies and they are kissing and smoking, I have to wonder if the smoker's breath was offensive.  Especially if one was a non-smoker.  Yeah, I think strange stuff.

Yes, and she wasn't really a smoker. She didn't even inhale. (take it from an ex-smoker). She would take a drag and then poof, blow it right out in a big puff. Tough guy John Garfield did the same thing-not a smoker. I can't figure out why BD smoked on a talk show?? She must have figured it's her trademark, the audience will want to see it.

Honored Contributor

Wow!  She didn't inhale.  Then, you're right @Judaline, it was her trademark.  Funny how everybody did it back then.  Both my parents smoked but I didn't.  At 13, I snuck  a puff off of a cigarette butt and got sick as a dog, lol.  Never tried again.

Maybe I'm confusing Bette smoking on those shows with some else.  I do gets confused about the past.  I'm second guessing myself now.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)