Trusted Contributor

Re: Bette Davis, James Davis, "Winter Meeting" TCM Wednesday 12:30 p.m. Eastern

Thanks for,the heads up! I have never watched this, just set it up on my dot! 

Big Bette fan here...you should see the list on my dvr!😂

Honored Contributor

Great, gang.  I think it'll be worth your while.

Here's a trailer:

http://pre-prod.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/1222294/Winter-Meeting-Movie-Clip-Us-Yankee-Spinsters.html

By the way, don't you love her New York apartment?  Yowza.  And her country house later, so cozy.

Honored Contributor

I enjoyed the movie but Bette was right!  Jim Davis was not right for that movie.  Actually, his acting was terrible.  Maybe westerns or action movies are more his thing.  Bette knew her stuff, lol.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Awwww, somebody's got to stick up for old Jim.  I say his "hound dog" expression and slight awkwardness were perfect for the inner "Midwestern country boy" in the part of Lt. Novak!  

What do you bet our Ms. Davis was scaring him to death behind the scenes....

Honored Contributor

I had to curtail my watching of this movie to cook dinner, so I am recording it and will see the second half another day. So far I'm intrigued enough to want to know where it's going.

I believe John Hoyt is doing Clifton Webb. Reminds me very much of Waldo Lydecker in "Laura". But Webb did it better.

Honored Contributor

Oznell,

I fell hard for James Davis.  Did not read that he was lambasted for this role until after viewing it, and I'm glad that I viewed him with "my innocent eyes."

To me, he was the perfect foil for Bette's severely uptight persona in the film.  I've never encountered an "aw-shucks" sort of priest before, but I bought into his no-frills personality totally.  In fact, I had a crush on him by the time the movie ended.

Thank you, thank you, Oznell!  I never would have thought to record and watch this movie had it not been for your suggestion and brief description.

Honored Contributor

Oh, @golding76--  I had the exact same reaction to James Davis!  You put it so well.  I thought of him exactly the same, as a "foil" for Bette, and I also succumbed to his plain-spoken authenticity.  He was a breath of fresh air in the film, I think, even when conflicted.

The scenes of them reveling in each other's company, in the country house and when they took their sleigh ride---  so charming.  I fell a little in love myself...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So glad I am not alone in my response to Jim Davis.  Read your comments about Bette's New York apartment and country home; I'm in total agreement with you.  Loved that tray she took down from its spot for breakfasts in bed in addition to the cupboard for the tray and the other rough-hewn items (if I recall correctly).

Was also mad for her wardrobe in this movie.  Maybe I have a prim and prissy side to me, but I still love nice skirts, blouses and sweaters and a killer black dress for the evening.  Didn't you just love her "revenge outfit" after she returned to NYC and went out with her pal Stacy?

Plain, black, worn with a glittery necklace, glittery cuff bracelet and that hat.  She looked like a million bucks!

I also adored the black lace with a pearl necklace (was it?) that Bette was wearing the night she met James Davis.

[I'm chuckling to myself because I remarked about a "prim and prissy side" to me, but I have also noted on these discussions that I have an inner gypsy.  Can there be a prim and prissy gypsy?  My different sides, I guess.]

Honored Contributor

@golding76wrote:

So glad I am not alone in my response to Jim Davis.  Read your comments about Bette's New York apartment and country home; I'm in total agreement with you.  Loved that tray she took down from its spot for breakfasts in bed in addition to the cupboard for the tray and the other rough-hewn items (if I recall correctly).

Was also mad for her wardrobe in this movie.  Maybe I have a prim and prissy side to me, but I still love nice skirts, blouses and sweaters and a killer black dress for the evening.  Didn't you just love her "revenge outfit" after she returned to NYC and went out with her pal Stacy?

Plain, black, worn with a glittery necklace, glittery cuff bracelet and that hat.  She looked like a million bucks!

I also adored the black lace with a pearl necklace (was it?) that Bette was wearing the night she met James Davis.

[I'm chuckling to myself because I remarked about a "prim and prissy side" to me, but I have also noted on these discussions that I have an inner gypsy.  Can there be a prim and prissy gypsy?  My different sides, I guess.]

@golding76 We could be sisters.  Woman Happy

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Jane Marple,

I have felt on many occasions that you and I are very much in accord on myriad social issues, but I am getting a real kick that you have the two sides of being prissy or gypsy, too.

Who are we?  I hope you have a better handle on our personality than I do.   Smiley Very Happy

It is strange, isn't it, to truly like both looks and attitudes?