Respected Contributor

@Oznell Just saw this on TCM. As I have said, I love BD and thought some people would be interested. I know it's late notice but.... Then at 9:45 they are showing Gaslight, with Charles Boyer, Ingrid Bergman and Joseph Cotton. I don't know if anyone posted re this movie but I think it's a good one. 

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

It's never too late for great movie alerts, @Coquille, thanks! 

And that documentary has such an intriguing title--  "Bette Davis:  Benevolent Volcano"!

Honored Contributor

@Coquille and @Oznell

I just looked this up because, well because I'd always been curious and never had taken the time to find out.  But did you know the term "gaslight" came from the movie itself?

" Its title was derived from the frequent dimming and flickering of the gaslights. The phrase "to gaslight" someone (to deliberately drive someone insane by psychologically manipulating their environment and tricking someone into believing that they are insane), was derived from the film." -- Tim Dirk, AMC Filmsite.

per:  https://www.denverlibrary.org/content/knitflix-gaslight

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I had heard that too, @GingerPeach, but only recently.  It is fascinating that so much of movie "lore" has seeped into the common parlance, but makes perfect sense...

Honored Contributor

Today Bette would be 110 yr old. 

Honored Contributor

"I'd like to kiss you but I just washed my hair."

I'd heard the line before but not seen the movie or even a clip.  I'm so glad they showed it.

Apparently at one point it was Ms. Davis's favorite line she'd ever spoken on screen.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

"I'd like to kiss you but I just washed my hair."

I'd heard the line before but not seen the movie or even a clip.  I'm so glad they showed it.

Apparently at one point it was Ms. Davis's favorite line she'd ever spoken on screen.  

We saw it too. That’s great

Honored Contributor

That line was from Cabin in the Cotton. TCM showed it yesterday.

Respected Contributor

Who could forget- fasten your seatbelts it’s going to be a bumpy night.

Incredible career, incredible woman. Amazing honesty in how she evaluated her self, as a woman, as an actress.

She and Katherine Hepburn were two old time Yankee women with great integrity and no excuses.

Honored Contributor

My favorite Bette Davis quip was a line she once used IRL. A reporter asked,'ms. Davis, have you ever had a facelift?' and she replied, 'would I look like this if I had?' Gotta love her.