Honored Contributor

Below Deck, Chief Stew Kate Leaving

From Bravo's website"

Kate Chastain confirmed she will not be returning to Below Deck in a post on Instagram following the airing of Part 2 of the Season 7 reunion on Monday, February 17.

The chief stew opened up about her decision and what the future holds in the post. "After many months of reflection and internal discussions, I have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new land based role," she wrote. 

"I intend to step back as a senior member of the Below Deck Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support His Majesty Andy Cohen.”

Kate first joined the Below Deck crew in Season 2. She has served as chief stew in every season since, including most recently Season 7, becoming one of the longest-running crew members on Below Deck. She is second only to Captain Lee Rosbach, who has been with the series since the very beginning.

Not only has Kate helped lead the Below Deck crew to many successful charters as head of the interior, she has also left her mark on the series with many memorable moments. Whether it was folding a blanket that she still maintains was in the shape of a rocket ship, feuding with her stews or the chefs in the galley or perfectly and wittily summing up all the craziness happening onboard, Kate has taken Below Deck fans on quite the ride over the past six seasons.

Kate reflected on her yachting career when she unexpectedly saw the first yacht she ever worked on docked in the marina in Thailand this season. "I haven't seen this boat in 10 years. This boat is the reason I fell in love with yachting in the first place," she recalled during an interview in the episode. "The last time I saw this boat, I was being fired in Freeport, Bahamas. It's like seeing your long-lost love by accident out of town."

She hinted that she was ready to explore the world outside of yachting in the Below Deck Season 7 finale. "Personally, this has been a very challenging season for me. I'm going to go spend a week alone in a resort and relax. Then, head back to Florida, pack up my life, and move to New York," she shared in an interview at the end of the episode. "I'm scared to move to New York, but I was also scared to start yachting, and I think I'm ready for a new adventure."

Kate gave an update on her life in New York at the end of the Below Deck Season 7 reunion. "It's great," she said. "I like it so much. It's exciting."

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Re: Below Deck, Chief Stew Kate Leaving

Can't say I'm surprised.  Mixed feelings about this.  She was a familiar face.  I guess it will all be about who they get to replace her if the franchise continues.  I'm not liking the chief stew on the Below Deck Yachting program.  I fell asleep thru that one on Monday and find myself not looking forward to it, and doubt I will continue to watch.

I hate change.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

I had heard that and also rumors she might be joining a housewife show.

Honored Contributor

I think there has to be something in the works for Kate with Bravo or she's hoping to get something for her to still be kissing Andy's behind calling him "His Majesty."

I have never been a big Andy Cohen fan but after the way he was at the Below Deck reunion, I have absolutely zero respect for him. 

Respected Contributor

I can't stand Andy Cohen and only watch if there's someone on I want to see. I don't look at him when he talks cause he foams in the mouth. ewwww

Honored Contributor

I  saw this the other day and, like others here, I was not surprised.   Since S07 it really seemed obvious that this has run its course for Kate.

Esteemed Contributor

It is about time!!  She is one of the reasons I stopped watching the show!!  She may know and carry out the job well, but what a b*tch!!  She certainly acted like the queen bee on the ship.  And when she did screw up, the captain did nothing.....

Esteemed Contributor

One can see that Andy Cohen promotes and gives  alot of air time on his show to those that are not only the biggest  manipulators  to cause turmoil and gossip but also those that  promote his agenda.  This is true with  all the   shows he promotes/ produces .  Shows just mean   attitudes  . No tears lost on Kate as her actions on many episodes displayed those  of a supervisor that I wouldn't wish on anyone . Capt Lee does not challenge her because he  probably doesn't want an EEO complaint coming his way so he let's her rule as long as big tips come his way .

Honored Contributor

I too think Andy has something in the works for Kate. She never said what she was presently doing and she has to be moving on to something in New York.