Valued Contributor

Whoever started watching this on epix, why is Oliver not recognized as the Trenchards son? I missed something there. I like this show but hard to keep up with the characters for me. 

Respected Contributor

Oliver is recognized as the Trenchards son.  I get the impression they aren't too fond of him or his wife, but they do recognize him as their son.

Are you getting the Trenchards and the Brockenhursts confused?  When I was watching the second episode and the brother and nephew were at dinner discussing being the heir.   I was wondering "what about Oliver".  Then I realalized it was the Count and Countess Brockenhurst and not the Trenchards.  I think the two ladies look two similar and being so early in the series it is hard to tell them apart.  I wish instead of both of them having black hair, one had gray hair. 

Honored Contributor

Even though it is early into this six-part series, I too get mixed up. I found this on the Internet and it has helped me keep everyone straight in my mind. Hope it helps others.

Episode 1James Trenchard, a successful businessman known as The Magician for his ability to supply food and materials to the army on the eve of the Battle of Quatre Bras, uses his daughter Sophia's friendship with Lord Bellasis to gain favour and he agrees to their marriage.

Sophia discovers the marriage ceremony is a sham and Bellasis is killed on the battlefield. Sophia is left unmarried and pregnant. She dies during childbirth leaving a son. Twenty five years later the Trenchards move to the newly built Belgravia where they become neighbours to the Brockenhursts, who have no knowledge of their grandson.

Episode 2Anne Trenchard decides, against her husband's wishes, to confide the secret of a grandson, Charles Pope, to Lady Brockenhurst who refuses to believe her son would contrive such a deceit. Lady Brockenhurst, whose husband bemoans the fact they have no heir, arranges an after dinner party to which she invites Charles Pope who has no idea of his birth parents. The Trenchards, including their son Oliver and his wife Susan are also invited.

Also at the party are Lady Brockenhurst's nephew John Bellasis, the heir presumptive, and Lady Maria Grey who is expected to marry him. When Charles Pope arrives Lady Brockenhurst introduces him and discovers James Trenchard had invested in Pope's business as a cotton trader, much to Anne Trenchard's astonishment. John Bellasis takes a fancy to Susan while Pope discovers that Lady Maria is knowledgeable about the cotton trade.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the discussion on this show!!  I too have been some what confused...everyone looks so similar, especially the ladies!! Love period show!!

Am enjoying this show, hope to watch to the end... before Epix stops the free viewing!!!

Valued Contributor

Oh thank you all for your responses. Thought it was my problem. Those two woman do look similar and I get them and families confused. But with your help I am getting it. Thanks.

Respected Contributor

I just watched the first 2 episodes on Amazon Prime. Occasionally the music hits a few notes "from" Downton Abbey.

Esteemed Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

I just watched the first 2 episodes on Amazon Prime. Occasionally the music hits a few notes "from" Downton Abbey.

---------------

Exactly!!  I just told my DD the same thing...we were discussing the show!! 

This is one of Julian Fellowes' creations...same guy who created Downton Abbey.

PS - As of 4/21, it looks like the free Epix is gone!!  Belgravia was the only show I wanted to keep watching.  Will try on the computer!!

Regular Contributor

Loving this show!

Honored Contributor

I'm a little disappointed that this will only be six episodes. Does anyone know if that will be considered Season 1, or is that all there will be?

Just watched Episode 3 and I must say that I get mixed up with some of the people. I feel like I need to write out who is who on a spreadsheet so I can everyone  straight in my mind.

But one thing I am pretty sure of: the childless Susan is going to get pregnant.

Respected Contributor

I watched last night and have to say, most of the characters are not very likable. Can you imagine Carson sitting there, with the other hires, complaining? Can you imagine someone trying to bribe him? How about the ladies' maids gathering info to use to their advantage?