Trusted Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@alexericmom wrote:

In my opinion Debra Messing would make an excellent Lucy.  She has the looks and the takent to play Lucy.  She was great on Will and Grace and knows how to make people  laugh.  Nicole Kidman is not that type of actress, she's not a "comedian" like Debra Messing. 

I agree with you. HOWEVER, given some of the comments that Debra Messing has made, I will never watch anything with her in it again.  Don't their agents tell them (their celebrity clients) to keep their mouths shut?

Amen!

Esteemed Contributor

@Puppy Lips - The Lucy Shows airs on the ZLiving Channel - Saturday at 9:30 AM and may be on at other times.

Honored Contributor

I think any of the 3 could do the role, and each one bring something different to it! Nicole and Cate are both bigger stars than Debra, but I could also see Debra doing it as well....

I think Javier is a good choice, but I also could see the actor who played Det. Amaro off of SUV doing it. I just saw him in another film over the weekend and he was really good in it......

Sometimes it doesn't have to be a huge star to make a movie successful......

Nicole and Cate both are phenomenal actresses who can transform themselves for whatever role they are playing for sure!

It will be interesting to see the final choices and the movie.

Valued Contributor

I read that Debra Messing is now considered "box office poison" because of her incendiary comments during the summer. She was so cute in Will & Grace and I would love to see her in more comedic roles.

Respected Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

I can't speak as to whether or not Nicole Kidman will make a good Lucy but, apparently, the movie is not a comedy.  It's about one week in the life of Lucy and Desi when they were (or maybe just she was) accused of being communists.  

I look forward to seeing it as I did the other "Lucy and Desi" moveis that were made.  I agree with whomever mentioned Frances Fischer making an excellent Lucy.  

I remember  her being dead on , I think Sonny from General Hospital played Desi. I agree this movie needs a non comedic actress , not that i don't like Debra Messing , but this is a whole diiferent type of movie , i just son't think Nicole is the right choice , i didn't like her in Boy Erased because all i could see was Nicole , and mainly because she was so thin and tall for the part of the mother , excellent movie though.

Respected Contributor

I saw the "Will and Grace" episode when Debra played Lucy.  Wow, the makeup people should win an award, because she looked sooo much like her.  Lucie Arnaz had a cameo as the supervisor in the chocolate factory who says: "Speed it up!" Debra was great, but they didn't have her saying:"It's  hot in here" during the Vitameeta Vegemin skit.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle 

@Shelbelle wrote:

Havent there already been many movies made on this same subject ???

They were discussing this today on The Talk. They said this seems like quite a bit of behind the scenes Lucy and Desi, not a comedy by any means and maybe Messing is great on the comedic end, but maybe not at the real life Lucy. Their real life relationship was often far from comedic. 

Saw it and I have to agree, it is not a comedy, so as much as I thought Debra Messing would be great, Nicole Kidman was right for the role. It's serous.  It was hard to believe from my days of old of watching ILL, that Dezi was so powerful behing the scenes.  She was tough, but like us women back in the day, the man was top dog.  Thank goodness we wised up.

Sorry for that comment, but true. I'm 85 and took me years and single to realize how powerful women can be on their own. We were just brainwashed.  I have women friends in 70's and 90's that don't know what to do after their husbands die.

Sad.