Honored Contributor

This is an upcoming bio pic based on Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz written by Aaron Sorkin. GMA spoke about it this morning. Nicole Kidman and Javier Bardem are in talks for the roles. I read Cate Blanchett was being considered, Lucie Arnaz was on board with Cate, I don't know what happened. On GMA someone mentioned Debra Messing's name, after seeing her on Will & Grace as Lucy she would be great, but she probably isn't considered a big enough star for the roll.

Respected Contributor

Well...this all sounds very interesting.

Love Nicole Kidman.

Aaron Sorkin should make it well-written and interesting.

Did they give a time-frame for this coming out? Or it's still in the development stages, sounds like..

I also wonder what platform it's going to be on..

Respected Contributor

Re: Being The Ricardos

[ Edited ]

Years ago Frances Fisher played her, she was a dead ringer for her in looks and she is a great actress.  I remember i didn't love the movie , but i think Nicole is too reconizable for the part. I think  all you will see will be Nicole playing Lucy. And i like Nicole as an actress.

@Jordan2 wrote:

This is an upcoming bio pic based on Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz written by Aaron Sorkin. GMA spoke about it this morning. Nicole Kidman and Javier Bardem are in talks for the roles. I read Cate Blanchett was being considered, Lucie Arnaz was on board with Cate, I don't know what happened. On GMA someone mentioned Debra Messing's name, after seeing her on Will & Grace as Lucy she would be great, but she probably isn't considered a big enough star for the roll.

Honored Contributor

@amyb wrote:

Well...this all sounds very interesting.

Love Nicole Kidman.

Aaron Sorkin should make it well-written and interesting.

Did they give a time-frame for this coming out? Or it's still in the development stages, sounds like..

I also wonder what platform it's going to be on..

@amyb they didn't give a time-frame, I believe there is a script. I would imagine it would come out in 2022.

Occasional Contributor

In my opinion Debra Messing would make an excellent Lucy.  She has the looks and the takent to play Lucy.  She was great on Will and Grace and knows how to make people  laugh.  Nicole Kidman is not that type of actress, she's not a "comedian" like Debra Messing. 

Honored Contributor

@alexericmom wrote:

In my opinion Debra Messing would make an excellent Lucy.  She has the looks and the takent to play Lucy.  She was great on Will and Grace and knows how to make people  laugh.  Nicole Kidman is not that type of actress, she's not a "comedian" like Debra Messing. 

ITA.   She would kill in this role.   She can do the comedy every bit as well, can obviously do the red hair, and there is just nothing negative there.  

Nothing wrong with the other actors, IMO, but Debra M was my first thought for the role.

I hope to be able to see this bio-pic, but fear it will be on one of dozens of streaming services that I don't have.  (don't get me started on that!)  hehe

Esteemed Contributor

@alexericmom wrote:

I agree with you. HOWEVER, given some of the comments that Debra Messing has made, I will never watch anything with her in it again.  Don't their agents tell them (their celebrity clients) to keep their mouths shut?

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

I kind of disagree about Debra Messing. Yes, she would make a great Lucy, but she already was a great Lucy in a different role. She may be a little too "spot on" for the part, at least in terms of the broad comedic sense.  But, maybe the movie won't be doing the "best of" "vitavetavegamin" skits, but focusing solely on the back story.  I'm not sure if Nicole Kidman would be the best choice either, but will hold any opinions until I see the movie (because Nicole is great!)

Honored Contributor

Nicole is terrible with accents and is too expressionless for this. Kate or Deborah would be better though Kate has more box office appeal. 

Honored Contributor

I heard it was a done deal with Nicole and Javier, I think Nicole can do anything. She's already played "Samantha," and she also played the other side of the spectrum with her role in To Die For, based on Pamela Smart. 

I think she'd make a great Lucy!  Smiley Happy