Honored Contributor

Been watching some shows today on disappearances

Disappearances in National Parks.  What do you think about what happened to the people that just disappeared?  Some people are found one way or the other, but some are very mysterious.  Now we were campers and have been to some National Parks, and I find it very strange that some people can disappear w/o a trace.

What do you think about this?  

Honored Contributor

Re: Been watching some shows today on disappearances

@qualitygal   I think if someone out hiking alone wandered off trail and became disoriented, ill, injured, etc.  finding that person could be quite challenging, especially if they were not missed right away.  

I am also cynical enough to believe the TV shows I also watch feel mysterious because the producers discuss the disappearances that are/were hardest to solve.

Valued Contributor

I sometimes wonder about young children that go missing in parks.  Parents are often distracted in these circumstances, ie setting up camp, tents, unpacking, etc.  I think it might be a perfect opportunity for a predator to lure some unsuspecting child away.

The adults - they probably get disoriented, lost and die from exposure or are attacked by a predator.  They also might fall injuring themselves and die before help can reach them. 

Esteemed Contributor

It is a bit eerie.  We have visited many National Parks over the years and still have many on our list.  I know when I visited Yellowstone there was a book in the park store called Deaths in Yellowstone.  I didn't buy it at the time but I believe it's on Amazon.  Many gruesome stories, not sure about actual "disappearances" though but I am sure there were many.  If someone has an accident or gets lost there are over 2 million acres of woodlands, the odds are they won't be found.

Honored Contributor

Bears killed them is what I'm thinking happened to many of them.

Esteemed Contributor

Suzanne Morphew out of Colorado was supposedly on a Mother's Day bike ride a year ago out in the boonies and was eaten by a Mt. Lion. Ooops no Mother Nature attack happened, just a husband arrested this week of murder.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

Has the percentage of missing people gone up compared to 20 years ago? If anything, I'd guess it might have dropped because of GPS and cell phones. Not that there is coverage out in the middle of a big national park, but at least rescue teams might have an idea of where the person was heading.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygalThere is a retired Cop named David Paulides that has a website called Canam project that might interest you....

His Documentary on You Tube and Amazon Prime called 411 The Missing and 411 The hunted....are also very good...

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Creepy. Have  watched some true crime shows on TV in the past . There was one  or two serial killers who travelled up and down the Appalachian trail from shows I saw in the past.  Pays to always be aware of your environment and people around you .

Remember the  2009 movie "A Perfect Getaway " starring Timothy Olyphant, Milla Jovovich, Kiele Sanchez, and Steve Zahn.