Honored Contributor

When I was watching Downton a few weeks ago it occurred to me that perhaps a lot of these productions were given the funding because there was a mad rush to replace DA once it went off the air and they weren't taking the time to vet these projects as they should.

They didn't want to lose the audience that DA built, so they were rushing all this stuff into production with the hope they would catch on.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35 

That may just be it.  The success of Downton Abbey, and then to a lesser extent, Poldark.  

I have been disappointed with the newer Masterpieces.  I hope they get better.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

I just got around to watch the first episode.  The scenery is beautiful, but I don't expect to watch any more!

MEH!!!!!

Respected Contributor

Anybody still watching?????

I am, but I do not know why. It is just is not getting better.  This series has so much potential, but something is missing.  The setting is beautiful and the costumes are great, but it still is not working.......

Honored Contributor

I really like it. I have a problem identifying the women,tho. They all dress alike and look alike till there's a close up. I am really confused about this until they start conversing, then I know who it is.

I wonder why the brother always wears the same clothes. Go to the stream and wash them at least! (he's cute!)

Last week was the best so far but this week was kind of exciting I thought. I just like the show but I think it's enough of the close-ups on John, lol. Yeah, he's a handsome guy but on with the show!

Esteemed Contributor

The lady playing Beechman,s Mother, I,m pretty sure was the Head cook on DA.  I can,t place her companion, but her face looks familiar from another Masterpiece show.

Respected Contributor

I cannot figure out if it is the writing or the acting.  When I watched Downton and Poldark, I liked the characters.  I cared if they were happy or sad, but with this series, I just have no feelings for the characters.  John is in prison and I do not even care.  He says he has feelings for Miss Osborne, but I sure do not believe it.  There is just no character development.

I do not even feel much dislike for the villains.............

Honored Contributor

The show has improved, given a different writer handled episodes 4, 5 and 6, but, for me, it's too little too late... You have a six show 'season' and you have to hit the ground running... This show didn't and so notices are it won't be back... The first three episodes floundered, largely went nowhere, weren't even particularly good exposition and now, BAM, we're supposed to buy this deep abiding love between John and Margaret and be invested in these characters? Whatever... It always seems like there's so much going on, the screen is always so busy with the cast of thousands... and yet the story goes nowhere fast... Visually amazing, but barely entertaining... 

It's unfortunate when there are two threads about the same show... Going back and forth between them can make one's head spin... Not a rant, but just sayin'... 

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Oh dear, sorry about the double thread posting. I may have missed the other one!🙃🙃🙃🙃

I will look for it.  I probably have even posted on it!🙃🙃🙃🙃

Respected Contributor

This show almost feels like whole sections of the episodes are missing the way it jumps around with no story development to tell you what's going on.